Dosbox Normality Game wont run from CD ROM - memory error

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Memphis UK

Post by Memphis UK »

I am rying to run my copy of Normality on CDROM through DOSbox on windows vista. The game came with VDMSound which wold not work so I am trying DOSBOX. When I mount the CD Rom drive and try to launch the program I ge the following error message:

nomality cannot run with less than 11 MBytes of Hard disk space.
Only 0 bytes are available.
Please free some space before running.

I guess this is because it is trying to run from the CD which obviously has no spare capacity. When I try to run from the .exe file that has been installed on the computer I get a litle further but not much. I get a game error message up saying to insert the disc or that it may need cleaning. Probably because it is nt looking in the right place. I am new to DOSBOX so please forgive me if this is really simple to fix, I have looked through the DOSBOX manula but cant find anything that relates to my problem.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Read and apply this first:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10437

So that a virtual C: is mounted when you run dosbox.
Run dosbox, mount the CD as CDdrive D: in dobox and install the game from D: on C:

As the game came with VDMSound (which BTW won't work swell in Vista) it is apparently not the original CD but an altered one, if you can't get it working in dosbox I will have to ask you to create a CD image ( I prefer BIN/CUE) and upload it on megaup, 4shared or rapidshare so that I can try things out.

If you don't want to do that, no problem,I will try to help you further, but it will be a lot of trial and error I'm afraid.
It is also possible that the game is pre-installed to run in VDMSound, then you will have to adapt the game setup to dosbox, maybe a *.cfg file or setsound ...? I don't know, we'll see.

Most important first step is to get dosbox working properly with a Virtual C: mounted, so read and apply what's in the posted link please.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Memphis UK

Post by Memphis UK »

Right, I have followed the link you have given me and compleed all the steps within, I havemounted the cdrom drive as D:/ and have installed the game on C:/ Although it would not give me choice of folder so automatically installed it in C:\Normal. Do I need to copy this to oldgames?

Thanks for the help
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

If you installed the game in dosbox:

-> The windows path will be \oldgames\norm\

-> The dosbox path will be c:\norm\

So: no need to copy anything.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Memphis UK

Post by Memphis UK »

Hi again, I couldnt seem to install the game through DOSBOX, I managed to find the setup.exe file through the DOSBOX dir function but it said I could not run that type of file through dos mode. Am I doing something wrong?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Dosbox Normality Game wont run from CD ROM - memory erro

Post by dosraider »

Memphis UK wrote: I managed to find the setup.exe file through the DOSBOX dir function
???
It's not 'setup', it's install you must run from D:\

If you don't have an 'install' your CD isn't complete or altered as I wrote previously.

Input dir/w whilst on D: and post a screenshot.
Last edited by dosraider on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

dosraider wrote:If you installed the game in dosbox:

-> The windows path will be \oldgames\norm\

-> The dosbox path will be c:\norm\

So: no need to copy anything.
Whoops, wrote this from memory but after a check of the install procedure for previous post the correct paths are:
-> The windows path will be \oldgames\normal\

-> The dosbox path will be c:\normal\
m

Post by m »

Hi,

I managed to find the insall.exe file and installed it through DOSBOX. I now have the C:/Normal/ where do I go frm here, I cant see an exe file within the directory.

Thanks again for all the help.[/img][/quote]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Dosbox Normality Game wont run from CD ROM - memory erro

Post by dosraider »

m wrote:I cant see an exe file within the directory.
???
Then there is omething really wrong.
Input dir /w whilst in c:\normal and post a screenshot.
Memphis UK

Post by Memphis UK »

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95 ... titled.jpg
Hi I tried to past the pic in but it wont let me as I'm not a member, I did try to register but it says I have exceeded the limit fr registration attempts.. not sure why, have never tried before.

Edited link to make it clickable ~dosraider
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Not good, not good at all.
click -> Image

Directory of C:\NORMAL\.
[.]
[..]
[DIGI]
[GFX]
[GFX1]
[MAPS]
[MIDI]
[SAVEGAME]
CONFIG.INI
DIRN.TXT
HMIDET.DRV
HMIDRV.DRV
HMIMDRV.DRV
INSTALL.EXE
INSTALL.INI
INSTALL.PIF
INSTGRAV.INI
LANG.DAT
LOADPATS.EXE
NORM.EXE
NORMAL.BAT

NORMALD.PIF
NORMALW.PIF
READ.ME
16 File(s) 2,829,624 Bytes.
8 Dir(s) 262,111,744 Bytes free.

See the difference? 15 files 2,829,624 Bytes/8 dirs from the game (ignore the 16th, dirn.txt, that's the one I created with dir>dirn.txt to copy/paste here)
Seems you miss a lot of files my friend.
You only have 8 files 266,702 bytes/8dirs.

Means that:
Or the installer didn't do his work or:
dosraider wrote:As the game came with VDMSound (which BTW won't work swell in Vista) it is apparently not the original CD but an altered one
So, maybe you'll have to:
dosraider wrote:if you can't get it working in dosbox I will have to ask you to create a CD image ( I prefer BIN/CUE) and upload it on megaup, 4shared or rapidshare so that I can try things out.
Seems that's gonna be the case here.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the missing files aren't on the CD ...? Maybe the installer is also altered to work only with VDMSound ...? I can't tell if I don't have the altered CD, I 'only' have the original game CD.

Or try to locate the files yourself on the CD.
Memphis UK

Post by Memphis UK »

I have installed the game from the original setup.exe file straight from the disk using the windows installer and then copied the norm folder into old games. When viewing the directory in DOSBOX I can see most of the files you have shown me on the screenshot.

When I run the NORM.exe file in DOSBOX it comes up with an in game error message saying to insert the disk or that it may need cleaning. I feel like I am getting closer...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Did you mount the CD as D: in dosbox?

Also:
There is a config.ini in the folder, open with notepad and check this line:
SourcePath=D:
Alter if needed.
Last edited by dosraider on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memphis UK

Post by Memphis UK »

Yes have mounted cdrom as D:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

dosraider wrote:Also:
There is a config.ini in the folder, open with notepad and check this line:
SourcePath=D:
Alter if needed.
?
Memphis UK

Post by Memphis UK »

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you It works.. You have made my day...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You're welcome, enjoy the game.
:)
Flick

Thank you!

Post by Flick »

I was having the same problem, found this thread through a google search. Thanks for the info, I've now got the game working! :bday: