What Programming Language Makes Commercial Games?

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
tinman47
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

What Programming Language Makes Commercial Games?

Post by tinman47 »

I was playing Mortal Kombat Armageddon and I'm wondering what programming language was used to program it?Or Halo 2,and Quake 4?
Pancake
Expert
Expert

Post by Pancake »

I'm not really the most knowledgeable in this area, though my guess would be C or C++. For console games, you need to get specific hardware for it.

Also, all your posts about the BASIC language are making me want to relearn it...
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

You know Tinman, I wanted to ask you something:

Why do you spend 2 weeks learning a language only to switch to another as soon as it hits your fancy?

I understand that you're young(now I already talk like an old man :( )and that you want to learn new things, but personally I don't think that's the way to go!
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Quake 4 is built with the Doom 3 engine, and Halo2 is built with Havok.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

Stick to QBasic tinman....
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
tinman47
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by tinman47 »

Yo,I stick to programming languages that I choose.
I don't change every 2 weeks!(For your info,I'm learning
Qbasic and Assembly both at the same time.)But thanks
for notifying,it made me become aware before ever
changing to another programming language. :laugh:

Thanks again Larry Laffer. :)
RegalSin

Post by RegalSin »

Okay, I am "learning programming as well".

A programer needs a developers kit and enviorment in order to make, any program.

Assembler is a high level language, that is close to machine code, but their are many others, but Assembler is the most common term, for machine coder. Anybody
can learn Assembler and utilize it. The more math you can figure out and math
you can use in html, the more simpler any low-level langauge is.

BASIC QBASIC etc.....VISUAL BASIC. Are all Microsoft variants, or a high level langauge that a person can use in baby steps.

C programming langauge is the most common high level langauge, and because the ALMIGHTY UNIX OPERATIING SYSTEM ( UNIX IS A COMMAND LINE OS ).
was original programmed in C.

C was also the choice of the Dreamcast, because of the ASM failure of the SAturn.
Only a really good coder could tackle the Saturn.

Borland C is an kit for DOS, IBM, and WINDOWS computers. Meaning NO MORE BASIC. Borland C is also the main standard of compliers. However their are more simpler and thus better ones like "Bloodshed" ( sadly it is a Zionist created item ).

GAME ENGINE = is a game but it is incomplete. Basically imagine a game that was programmed but now as a maker you have to fill in the blanks.

A great example is the Starfox engine used for Zelda OOT for the N64. It was never really meant to be used for that but they just filled in the blanks. To prove this even further, hidden inside the game code ( accsessible by hackers ) is an
Arwing.

Another popular example is wh en you see repitition of programming.
Like Rarware on the N64.

Another example is Sonic Xtreme for the Sega Saturn using the Nights Engine.

An easy example s Megaman 1-6.

In todays world if you make a game from scratch it would take months to figure out. Meaning Months and months of coding into low-level or even machine code.
This is why people use various game engines that exsist to make their work faster. It is like leaving an unfinished puzzle in the middle of space for somebody
to complete.

ALSO.... A game engine over time is improved by other users. Like for example
UNIX a great operating system that can run DOS materials as well, is considered improved with LINUX. Then their are various releases of Linux. Like Ubunto vs Mint.......Mint is really just another version of Ubuntu, and they want to prented they made something new.

The same could be said about Windows. or Ex-FAT. Even running a variant of
DOS on Ex-FAT.

Programming from scratch also have the advantage of enhancing your code.
However who the hell wants to re-invent the wheel.

I think as a new world people should learn how to program for the Amiga.