How do i make a game

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

How do i make a game

Post by abyss »

I had an idea for a game where you had to go from the start of a maze and find the end but with a twist you have a gun and their is a lot of detail. You have to kill the bad guy at the end of the alley that has a lot of turns and all that. You start off with a pistol and can get other guns and you must kill bad guys in the maze. The bad guy at the end of the maze is aboss and you can save the game while in the maze. Their would be quite a few levels. The mazes would be long.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

And... you want to program this game in what? C++, QBasic? Visual Basic? Borland Pascal? What?

Do you want your game to be for DOS? Windows? Do you want a 3D graphic engine? Do you want the game to be ASCII based? There are SO many options...

Or, you were just giving out the idea so one of us could actually make the game for you? :huh:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

i don't know about these programs. Where do i get them and the game would be a 2d game. what are all the files to make games. I never heard of them.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

-Lazy options-
GameMaker: http://gamemaker.nl/
Multimedia Fusion 2: http://clickteam.com/eng/index.php (if you want to make Sonic the Hedgehog style games, I can hook you up with a good forum that use GM or MMF)

-Hardcore options-
C++ w/ SDL (or any other graphical API): http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html +http://www.libsdl.org/ + http://lazyfoo.net/index.php

But first, you need to have an idea.

Since I have a Mac, I have to go with the hardcore option, but hey, once I get something going, I can port it to Windows or Linux with no problems! =)
Last edited by CPT Worm on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

I have decided to use zzt. The game will be released in 2 weeks-month. The game will be a maze and their will be a lot of enemies and for bosses i will use a lot of enemies.The game will have a lot of levels which is why the game will take a while to make. I just though of using zzt now. I searched and tried qbasic but i had no clue on what i was doing. Can someone tell me how to program things becaus all though i decided to make this game with zzt i want to know how to code so i can make a second game which will be a 2d dos game that is similar to comander keen or jazz jackrabit. You will be a guy who got lost in some 2d world with monsters and the guy wants to go back to his world. Seriously that is the story to the game.
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Dude, you'd be much better of with one of Clickteam's products. You really don't have to learn any code. GM has code, but it's not as hardcore as learning new code.

If you want to learn about ZTT-OOP, I suggest you look here: http://dave2.rocketjump.org/rad/zzthelp/langref.html
Sustinendum Victoriam!
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

ZZT is perfect for the first game but not that good for the game i will be making after the first game. I don't know how to program anything or even code anythimg but the second game will be a sidescrolling game where you get lost in a 2d world and you have to get back to your own world. The 2d world has many monsters and you must beat every level to get back to your space ship and get home. The game may sound stupid but if i make it will be a good game.
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Why would you build one game with one engine and then switch to a new engine for your second?
Sustinendum Victoriam!
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

Different engines are good for different games and i have a good idea that would be great for a game. zzt is great for certain games but terriable for others. The second game a 2d side scrolling game like jazz jackrabit or comander keen. I don't know how to code or program things though.
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

But if you stick with one engine, you'll understand the software better and produce a better product.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

How do you make a sidescrolling jumping game with zzt. I am already quite good with zzt and can understanfd it quite good but their is just some games you cannot do in zzt that's why i need to know how to be able to program and code things. I also planned to take a break after the second game and later make a racing game with fake cars though. You can't make a racing game on zzt either.Edit; I found a sidescrolling game maker at gamehippo and i will be using that for the second game. Everything is quite easy so far as i can use zzt for the first game and the sidescrolling maker for the second but the racing game will not be happening. i still want to know how to program and code things though.