I am getting a zx spectrum for christmas

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

I am getting a zx spectrum for christmas

Post by abyss »

I can't wait til i get a zx spectrum for christmas. Yes i already know some of the presents i will get. I can't wait. What are some good games for the zx spectrum. How good are zx spectrums. Where do i get games for the zx spectrum.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

That's cool :) Ah usually Wikipedia is a good place to start ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum

Especially the links at the bottom to other ZX Spectrum sites.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Nice... I had once a ZXSpectrum clone... but it only ran with Nintendo cartridges...
But anyhow this caught my eye:
Released April 1982
Discontinued December 1990
Howcome's still being sold?
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

It is an early zx spectrum. I need to know if i can get free legal games for it.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Well, from reading the Wikipedia entry, the problem with the Spectrum is that it used cassette tapes as its main program delivery mechanism, not diskettes. So it's not as simple as downloading a ROM and putting it on a diskette, unless your particular model has a built-in disk drive, and that drive supports regular 3.5" floppies (unlikely). Besides that, downloading ROMs would not be legal anyways. I was able to find some old tapes for sale here:
http://www.markhyde.plus.com/scg.html

Note that prices are in British pounds; since the Spectrum was mainly a UK system it will be more difficult to find games etc here in North America. If you want real Spectrum cassette tapes, your best bet is probably eBay:
http://search.ebay.ca/zx-spectrum
As you can see, almost everything for sale on eBay (that's available to Canada anyways) is coming from the UK.

Edit: Here's another page to check for places to buy online:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/activehouses.html

abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

What can i do with a zx spectrum. Does zx hae a paint program or something like a word file or anything like that. As i cannot order games as i am not allowed to. My parents are completely against ordering things.
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

From what I could get from the Wikipedia entry, it comes with a version of BASIC installed, similar to a Commodore64.

Without ordering off the net, I suppose your best bet is to ask around to see if people you know have cassettes laying around that they'll give you, of course that's not too likely unless you live in the UK or know people who live there.

Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

If you can find the game files on the net (should be able to easy enough) there are programs that convert the digital file to a WAV file (link posted below). Once you get the WAV file you can burn multiple games to a CD as audio tracks, then get cd player to pump the audio out to your spectrum tape input port and you can then load and run the games (no tapes needed).

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/utilities.html
Roger
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Roger »

I also don't think is necessary to struggle with the tapes anymore. The are dozens of sites with abandonware spectrum games, and also some good emulators.
There are no performance issues, like with dos emulators under windows, i.e.
And I really don't understand how the "legal" aspect for these ancient games can still be raised. On moral issues, perhaps :cuccoan:
"in the beginning, Earth was without form and void..."