Internet in the past.

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Internet in the past.

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Ok thets refresh our memories and try to remember back when the internet was fresh and you got connected for the first time and tell me your experiences.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Hmmm ... dial-up, it was either 9600 or 14.4 modem at that time. First time I connected it was through the company Internex ... apparently it was <a href="http://www.kkc.net/eyenet/1995/net1123.htm">quite the company</a> as you can read at that link :o I never had any major problems when I was with them, but it sounds like they kinda ... yea you can read the link there. (Also, my dad was a member of CRS, who apparently according to that link was the first BBS to offer 'net access in the Toronto area.)

Annnnnnyywaaaaays ... after I downloaded Netscape for Windows 3.11 ... the first website I loaded was www.nuke.com which at the time was Electronic Gaming Monthly's website (now it seems to point to GameSpot).
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

I remember it like it was 1 and 1/2 weeks ago ;). I had my dial up kickig along at a painfull speed. Was with a company called Acay. Who I think have since become Tel Pacigic, who I think have also now changed...... um yeah hrmm first memories. Napster, ohh yeah.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

When the net first came to me i didnt know how to do anything :)

I think it was at a science place called ScienceWorks and i tried to search for Asterix :) didnt let me :P
The_Sinister_Mastermind
<font color=red><b>Overlord</b></font>

Post by The_Sinister_Mastermind »

WEll the net had already been around for awhile before I started using it so I already had a general idea of how to use it and all that.
<center>I am the master, fear none but me. I am the master of all that will be... Image

Are you looking for Z? - DOSBox & D-Fend Guide! - I’m looking for 4 games!
Best Of Windows Entertainment Package

DOSgames IRC is back! now with DOS Trivia!
Server: irc.p2p-network.net
Channel: #DOSgames
For mIRC users: irc://irc.p2p-network.net/DOSgames

Please don’t PM me every time you can’t find a game, I really don’t have time to logon to the site that often let alone be your personal assistant.
Just use the “Finding Old Games” subforum like everyone else.</center>
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

When I first got on the internet, I was happy to get a speed of 300 baud, now considered slow and crappy today.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

For me it was back in my C64 days with the infamouse Taihaiho 300 baud pulse dial-up modem. It worked great and was painfully slow but really most of my connections were made long distance to BBS's across the country ;)

Oh the days of ColorBBS and the like with support for ANSI color graphics :D
Suck it down!