RoomShaker

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

RoomShaker

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

For anybody that's wondering, RoomShaker is a handy Prince of Persia editing tool. Once you master it, it's pretty easy to use. I already made my own POP game with it. I call it Prince of Persia 1.5 It's pretty much the same as number 1, but I added a few shortcuts and new twists. It's for people that think POP1 is impossible to complete. You people are wrong! Anyway my next project is to make Prince of Persia 5D. I'm going to completly change the game. It's kind of going to be like the sequel to POP4D. If I'm nice enough, I'll release POP1.5 as freeware. Maybe I'll ask emmzee to put it on the site. But you don't have to be left out of all the fun! Here's the link to download RoomShaker. It's completly free!

http://home.connexus.net.au/~bcjames/ro ... dloads.htm

Enjoy making your own levels!
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

Yes, Roomshaker is an easy to use POP level editor. It has been in existence for quite some time already, if you were not aware. Previously, when people on this forum requested for level maps for POP4D, I had taken screenshots of levels as shown from Roomshaker.

For information, in case anyone wants to know, so far, there are altogether 4 kinds of level editors for Prince of Persia namely Roomshaker, Princedit, PopMap & PV. You can view the screenshots here. In case you didn't know Pop4D for actually a modification from the original POP by using the level editor, Princedit.

I am still waiting for PV3 to completed because it would end up as a better editor as WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get). So far, all existing editors use symbols to represent the items.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Yes, I am quite aware Roomshaker existed for quite a while. I also tried to get level maps of POP4D using roomshaker but when I tried to view the palace levels
(levels 4, 5, 6, 10, 11) roomshaker displayed a message saying the levels were corrupted. Did you also encounter this problem?
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

****(I did not want to double post so I have edited the old post. Read the bottom portion for the updates)****
GameMaster.EXE wrote:.... I also tried to get level maps of POP4D using roomshaker but when I tried to view the palace levels
(levels 4, 5, 6, 10, 11) roomshaker displayed a message saying the levels were corrupted. Did you also encounter this problem?
A friend tried and also got the error for level 11. That was after I told him I get the error. I think it is because of the problem for level 11 for POP4D when the creater of POP4D did the modification. However, using Roomshaker to open level 11 in the original POP4D as well as the already patched POP4D would stated the levels for that level are corrupted.

The person who created the patch used Prince Resource features to repair level 11 so there might be a way using that uility to explore level 11. I haven't learnt how to use that utility yet.

*edits*
I tried the level editor again today just to reply you. For viewing purposes level 4,5,6 & 11 cannot be opened. The other levels can be viewed. Maybe you remembered wrongly about level 10 ;)

*2nd edit*
Level 4,5,6 & 11 of POP4D can be viewed / edited using PV2.5. However, be warned it's not easy to visualise the levels using this editor. It would be like a jigsaw puzzle seeing the entire level overview. To give you an example, open the potion level under PV2.5 then compare with my screenshot and you'll know what I mean. ;) I had taken a screenshot of that level shown under PV2.5 and did some rearranging.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

So, does that mean PV3 is out?

Also, I wonder why the prince never goes to the potion level?
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

GameMaster.EXE wrote:So, does that mean PV3 is out?
Yeah, you can't use PV3 to open it. I think Roomshaker & PV3 has been too good in ensuring error-free that is why it could read POP4D levels. certain POP4D levels has some incosistancy in them such as in linking areas, 2 different screens can go back to one screen or some placement of wierd placement of tiles etc.
Also, I wonder why the prince never goes to the potion level?
That's because the games you have played POP / POP4D are the cracked versions. If you did played the original which is what I did, you will see the portion level after level 1. Each blue portion had an alphabet above it and you had to drink correct one by looking at page x, line x word x of your manual. This is one of the excellent designed games where the copyright protection is a not so obvious one and a fun one too. After drinking the correct portion, the exit door will open. If you drink the wrong one, your hit point will decrease. 3 times wrong and you're dead.

In those early days, there were more manual copyright protections to stop widespread piracy. One couldn't share the game unless they shared the manual as well.
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Oh I see.......

I might get PV3 because it gives me a better view of the level.
But if it doesn't work on Win95, I'll stick with Roomshaker.