Putting a DOS HD in a WIN XP computer

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
RonSijm

Putting a DOS HD in a WIN XP computer

Post by RonSijm »

Hi,

Like i sayed in another topic, i was cleaning my basement, and i found my old computer back. its a ///Laser 286/X2

Now, there are 80 old dos games on its HD, and i wanned to copy em to my own computer ( a Windows XP/SP1 2.8 GHZ computer)

Is it possible to take the HD out the old computer, and put in in the WIN XP one? else i have to copy like 150 MB on a 1.44 MB floppy :( that will take forever
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

I can see no reason it wouldn't work. My hardware knowledge is minimal, but I don't think there's been any massive leaps in Hard Drives.

I can't see how it would cause any damage (as long as you know what you're doing), so try it anyway :D
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

You can put it in, but when I did that with some old harddrive it forced me to format it, or else I couldn't use it... Now I've formatted it but decided wouldn't use it anyways... and I've lost a lot of useless data... argh...
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

You should be able to do that without any problems. As long as you've got a spare IDE slot.
RonSijm

Post by RonSijm »

Gamer_V wrote:You can put it in, but when I did that with some old harddrive it forced me to format it, or else I couldn't use it... Now I've formatted it but decided wouldn't use it anyways... and I've lost a lot of useless data... argh...
hhmm.. yea, i dont want to format it.. i want to copy the stuff from it to my own computer...

and,
and I've lost a lot of useless data... argh...
if its useless anyway, why do u care about it than :P
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Write up settings in 286' BIOS and after installing into XP machine set it as primary slave with same settings in it's BIOS.

Better idea: Don't even think about it. Play by 286. It's a LOT better. Trust me.
Last edited by 486 player on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

Some of the data was really useless, so useless I needed it to fill up the useful parts of my life. Some files shouldn't have been deleted. I'm afraid I might have deleted my perfect QfG4 character, with all stats some! Now that's horror!
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .