Best FPU for 386 Machine

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
cheers_rules

Best FPU for 386 Machine

Post by cheers_rules »

Hi:

I'm building a 386 system from parts. The CPU is a AMD 386DX-40, so I need a 387DX-40 coprocessor. What is the best/fastest FPU? I've heard Cyrix FasMath is pretty good, but they seem to be hard to come by.

Thanks!
Interon

Post by Interon »

Oooh.

AFAIK, AMD is the only computer chip company that made a 40 MHz 386, so I'm guessing that AMD would be the only supplier of 40 MHz FPUs.

However, there are DOS programs that can emulate the 80x87.
cheers_rules

Post by cheers_rules »

JMS wrote:Oooh.

AFAIK, AMD is the only computer chip company that made a 40 MHz 386, so I'm guessing that AMD would be the only supplier of 40 MHz FPUs.

However, there are DOS programs that can emulate the 80x87.
Yes, but there are multiple third-party FPU's (IIT, Cyrix, ect.) I was wondering which one would be the best. I actually didn't think AMD made a 386 FPU, because I've never seen or heard of AMD versions of the 387. Thanks.
Interon

Post by Interon »

That said, does a 40 MHz 80x87 chip exist? And if yes, is it rare? Also if the chip is already in a computer, it will be hard to remove it without bending the pins.

CR, the chances of you finding that chip are about 1 in a million.