Porting DOS game to Windows; where to start?

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

As no one has so far considered touching Kaos (that one Italian-made Doom clone that never got finished), I felt like I might be up to the challenge.
Here's the problem; despite being an IT vocational high school who graduated with a software engineering class subject years ago, there's only so much I know/remember about programming. This is especially considering that we're also talking about DOS source code.
All I'm aware of is that some dependencies need to be converted from DOS to Windows, although even then, I don't know how exactly.
I've tried looking for the good ole Google about DOS-to-Windows video game conversions, but most only gave me articles on how to compile a "pure" source port on Visual Studio, one's experience in doing such a conversion, and none exactly about the technical stuff.
Any help will be appreciated.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

taufan99 wrote: As no one has so far considered touching Kaos (that one Italian-made Doom clone that never got finished), I felt like I might be up to the challenge.
That would be a great thing to do! Good luck!

Unfortunately I have zero experience in these matters, but I suppose it could be a good idea to look at known ports of DOS games like Doom. If you can disentangle the original DOS code from the code of Chocolate Doom for example, I suppose it could give some clues as to what direction you should take, if not the exact solution to stuff like video and sound output, controls, etc.