?80s? text-based computer game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
rigga77

?80s? text-based computer game

Post by rigga77 »

In ~1993 my family was given a computer that came with a game I was obsessed with, but never got very far in and I'd like help finding the name of the game.

The computer was NOT a Commodore 64, which is all I know for sure. It might have been an IBM. It was not a brand new computer so I'm guessing the game was from the 80s.

The game was text-based. You typed in phrases like "turn north" or "enter the tavern" or "cross the bridge." I don't recall graphics, but if it had them, they were very basic. It was a quest, tho I never knew what the goal was.

The game had lots of quirky things to encounter. There was:
* A giant onion you could roll around. I never found a use for it.
* A bridge you could cross half way. Then half of the remaining distance and then half of that distance for eternity. I never got to the other side.
*A forest of trees that would sing Christmas carols with you, but never allowed you to pass thru.
*A pig? Or creature of some sort that would dig up truffles for you.
*A ....?staff? ?sword? Something you could parry with.
*An umbrella whose handle was a parrot's head. It might have talked, I don't remember exactly.

I know these details are sparse, but I'm hoping they'll be familiar to someone.

Thanks in advance.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Seeking ?80s? text-based computer game

Post by Rwolf »

The problem identifying text adventures at Mobygames and in other databases is that the description seldom contains other than superficial descriptions of the game, in order to keep the text spoiler-free for future gamers, there are seldom any detailed description of the puzzles, so unless one has played an recognizes the puzzle, the game is hard to find. There are sometimes walk-throughs that can be searched, but in this case I have found nothing worth mentioning. I would suggest asking on a forum more dedicated to interactive fiction type games.