Program All-Text Games? What Do You Use?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

For me, it's "TextWorld" to see how far it can go, and "Adventure Game Toolkit" (AGT).

With "TextWorld," a very limited engine- it doesn't even have light/dark!- it's for quick games.

AGT is for more serious extensive games. I've modified it to include:

1) In-game text color changes, for keyboard images like "SanctuaryRPG Black."

2) Worn items can now act as light sources.

3) Problems with weight and encumbrance are resolved.

4) The ability for THREE or more same-nouns to directly interact.

5) The ability to distinguish among prepositions, so now it is possible to only allow one- e.g. PUT GEM ON ALTAR- or cause different results so UNDER or BEHIND can cause different results.

6) More generic statements, so for example something may be there but is unusable.

7) Objects to teleport and appear UNDER, ON, BEHIND, BESIDE, etc.

Time is up- I'll continue later. have a good day.
JamieRobles

Post by JamieRobles »

That sounds like you have some interesting modifications to the Adventure Game Toolkit (AGT) to enhance your game development experience! AGT is a classic text-based adventure game creation system that allows users to create their own interactive stories and games.

Your modifications, such as in-game text color changes, expanding the functionality of worn items as light sources, resolving weight and encumbrance issues, and enabling interactions with multiple same-noun objects, add depth and flexibility to the game mechanics. Additionally, the ability to distinguish among prepositions and create different results based on them allows for more nuanced and immersive gameplay.