Anyone interested/collect those 90s shovelware addon discs for PC games?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
romeroman

Post by romeroman »

Context:
Popular 90s FPS games like Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, ROTT, Duke 3D, Quake, etc had a lot of user made levels and other content even within years of their release. A lot of it was put up online, except internet use/access wasn't quite "there" for the general population. So a whole bunch of companies would sell these unlicensed products where they downloaded tons of this fan-made content and burned them to CDs. They're generally looked down upon due to their mostly really poor quality. Recent times, though, it kind of became a thing to digitally archive these. A lot of these contain really old/early user-made contact that has long been wiped from the internet, so they're the only way to access that part of the history. You can see the doomwiki (doomwiki.org, not the wikia/fandom) pages for List of Commercial compilations and also Shovelware Cover Art) to get more of an idea.

Anyway, from all that, I was wondering if anyone in this community has a niche interest with these...
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Not really collecting them, but I have a few such releases for various games (not for DOOM as I don't have that game, but for Unreal and others). Not exactly shovelwares, but community-produced addons released on CD.