Early 90s DOS non-scrolling platform, aztec theme [Super...]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Demon

Early 90s DOS non-scrolling platform, aztec theme [Super...]

Post by Demon »

Well here I am, new forum members always start with a "What was this game's name?" request, don't they? :)

First of all, a short presentation of myself: I'm a middle-aged retrogaming hobbyist, huge fan of home computers, arcade games and (to a lesser degree) gaming consoles of at least 20 years old age. I am not a "hoarder-type" when it comes to games, instead trying to keep my collection small by cherry-picking titles.

Of course, being middle-aged one of my driving criteria for seeking out old games is pure nostalgia, and the DOS game I am calling on your knowledge and wisdom to figure out the name of is apparently the last game of my childhood memories I have yet to find in all the retro systems I am interested in.

So here are some details about this missing game. Please keep in mind that my memories may betray me on some of these.

- Platformer with some puzzle elements, single-screen (no scrolling).
- Almost certainly from the early 90s, as I was playing it on a 386 around 1995.
- Small game overall, it fit on a single 3.5" floppy disk together with other various files.
- The general theme of the game was sort-of aztec or perhaps egyptian.
- The environment was probably some tomb, always indoor or underground.
- The color scheme was mostly brown, with some minor blue and red elements.
- Was definitely not CGA, at least EGA, and obviously 2D.
- The main character sprite was fairly large, so that a whole "room" in the game probably had no more than 3 levels of platforms. The character presumably wore a hat.
- I don't think the character had weapons, but was mostly jumping on moving platforms, avoiding arrows and traps, etc.
- It might have had a NON-English title.

Here are a few platform games that might match with some of my description but are definitely NOT the one I am looking for: Rick Dangerous, Gods, Pharaoh's Tomb, Hocus Pocus, The Lost Vikings, Zorro or Tunnelman.

Let's see if this rings a bell to someone! Thank you by the way for letting me in on your forums :)
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Welcome! You covered a lot of initial guesses. Any games you can think of that are similar in art or play style?

Next guesses might be Dark Ages, Prince of Persia, the Indiana Jones Action games, Paganitzu. Have you gone through apogee and epic megagames lists of games on mobygames.com? Or you can also browse dos platform games by year.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello, and welcome to the forums! ^_^ BTW, Happy New Year!

MobyGames lists very few Aztec themed games for DOS:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/se ... t,0/so,1a/

None seem to match your description, except perhaps Montezuma's Revenge for which MobyGames lists no DOS version but apparently it existed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJd-_Jxq-Sg
Demon

Post by Demon »

Quadko wrote:Welcome! You covered a lot of initial guesses. Any games you can think of that are similar in art or play style?

Next guesses might be Dark Ages, Prince of Persia, the Indiana Jones Action games, Paganitzu. Have you gone through apogee and epic megagames lists of games on mobygames.com? Or you can also browse dos platform games by year.
Thanks!

It's none of those either, I am familiar with the first three and just checked out Paganitzu but it's not them (they also all look newer).

Yes I tried Mobygames and various other sites, but didn't find it. It's possible I haven't searched thoroughly enough so I will keep trying.
Demon

Post by Demon »

MrFlibble wrote:Hello, and welcome to the forums! ^_^ BTW, Happy New Year!

MobyGames lists very few Aztec themed games for DOS:
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/se ... t,0/so,1a/

None seem to match your description, except perhaps Montezuma's Revenge for which MobyGames lists no DOS version but apparently it existed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJd-_Jxq-Sg
Thanks!

How could I forget to mention Montezuma's Revenge? That's REALLY close in look to the game I am looking for, but it is not the same game (I had Montezuma's on the C64) . The one I cannot find was a bit simpler and with more basic graphics.
Demon

Post by Demon »

Ah... found it!!! :D

Well apologies to all because my memory DID play some tricks on me... there was nothing "aztec" about this game, but instead egyptian, chinese, middle-eastern and ancient greek/roman.

The game is "Super Solvers: Challenge of the Ancient Empires!" > https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/supe ... nt-empires

Thanks to both of you! Even if I found it myself, your prompt to search MobyGames yet one more time made me do it. I have searched this game many times there and everywhere but never actually found it for some reason... it's really the LAST game of my childhood that I remember and hadn't found yet, so this means that I can declare my retrogaming collection complete B) At least for a while... :laugh:
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Sweet! Thanks for letting us know.

That somehow looks a lot like Spelunky. :D