MS-DOS space shooter

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Muntaner

MS-DOS space shooter

Post by Muntaner »

Platform(s): played it only on MS-DOS around 1994-1997

Genre: a standard low quality top-down space-shooter (think at Space Invaders)

Estimated year of release: no idea, I guess some of the first years in 90ish

Graphics/art style: black starry background, gray player spaceship with a blue strip on it. The second player (which could join the first one as an ally) also controlled another gray spaceship with a red strip on it. I know this will sound weird, but the player spaceship wasn't a standard or classical one, but was shaped much like a michelin dude. The black background was the same for each level, and it never moved or changed during the gameplay session. Also, IIRC, there was a fixed bar on the right part of the screen giving informations to the players (current level, lives left, score, etc.) pretty much like Arkanoid

Notable characters: sadly I can only remember the player spaceship and the last level enemies. The level or the enemies were called "Quarantine", which were yellow/orange colored and were shaped like a triangular ruler

Notable gameplay mechanics: nothing in particular, you simply shooted top down to kill all the enemy spaceships and progress to the next level. The differences between levels were just the enemies: different sprite and more hits to kill a single enemy spaceship. There were many levels (I think 30-40ish levels) in which the enemies changed their sprite and became more and more resistant to attacks. IIRC, when you played this game with another player, the two spaceships controlled by the two players could join in a cooperation simply by touching. When cooperating in this way, the bullet the player spaceship shooted had a wider sprite and was more damaging. Players could move left and right over the whole width of the screen, while top-down moving was limited to a tiny part of the bottom part of the screen.

Other details: none.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Long shot, something like side arms? Or links from that like jetpack?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/side-arms-hyper-dyne