Do the game, learn later hehe

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Do the game, learn later hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Well, in my case I did it all in reverse. I just dive head first (don't try this at home kids).

I took what little street knowledge and formal knowledge I had, in this case I was pampered all my life.

Even though I was homeless for 2 to 3 years, it was because I was a rebel and went against my parents wishes for me to keep studying and keep getting better.

Anyways, by God's grace there are kind people who gave me a place to stay for cheap and food and water from public resources such as donations.

I am still on welfare however I am back in my parents good graces. They have forgiven me however it was a long almost 20 year journey before they lighten up.

Well, my father is glad and my mother rejoices now and for the rest of our lives.

So my point is, stick with your parents kids. Those of you who want to be successful don't do what I did. I got lucky someone was watching out for me. Otherwize I would be up the creek without a paddle (hint hint) haha

Well, I looked at WWW.PLAYDOSGAMES.COM ball and paddle game section and I am amazed that there are already other Arkanoid remakes. So much for me hehe

The remakes over there really looks good. Really talented!!!!!!!!!!!!
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Well, today I am learning after I did my demo haha. I think I am starting to decline and nobody is going to want to see my old ArkanDOS game after many years. hehe

After all, I do need time for myself after all these times. Forty years is a lot of time to give to others. I think I deserve to be selfish now and just play around with my favourite gift from Borland, "Borland Turbo C 2.01" haha
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Well, I am a failure today. I have trying to master a couple things in Borland Turbo C 2.01 - however, the object of my life is to have fun and not to actually accomplish anything haha. So it is a paradox that I have failed yet somehow find it amuzing and fun along the journey.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

On days like this I console myself that there is always tomorrow, and always a new project if this one provides fruitless. However, that second is why I rarely finish anything, so I can't necessarily recommend it for anything but fun. :) Rest up, be of good cheer, and anything we can help with?
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Yes, I am looking for how to decode an 8-bit bitmap.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

haha - Well, that did not come out the way I expected hehe Sorry about that Quadko.

Anyways, I have been studying some more lessons and I have mastered the basic sprite routine.

I still have yet to do transparent sprites.

However, now I am able to move and object across the screen and animate it.

Thank you for helping me with the link to that sprite stuffs.

I am still having trouble with RLE encoding and such for transparent sprites however in order to travel 5000 miles, you must first take the first step. haha
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Up until now I have been clearing the screen and drawing my image.

Now, I can just instantly move an object across.

It is close to the same concept very hard to distinguish however I am getting the hang of it now.

Here is a link to a little demo I did with a bouncing animated ball.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qgy4n ... APHBUF.EXE

Instead of deleting the ball and drawing it again, I am using an animated sprite of a ball.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Very cool! Glad it's coming together. Yes, transparency (especially manually in dos) is a whole different level of complexity above just the first image. :)

I tried running the demo exe in dosbox, maybe there was something wrong on my end with the download, but it didn't do anything. Maybe I did something wrong? Dosbox just froze at the commandline after running it - did it need any data files or anything?
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Hi Quadko. Yes, I was missing the graphics data. My bother always says to be humble in these messes so I'm sorry about that. I just updated the link:

Thank you!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qgy4n ... APHBUF.EXE
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

What happened was the graphics package was not included. So what you were seeing was it was trying to draw to an unrecognized screen.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

However, if you press a key, it should return you to DOS. It is just thinking it is drawing that is all that is why it looks locked up. However, it is actually running. hehe :thumbsup:
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

haha - here is the entire source code built from the ground up if you want

http://www.mediafire.com/download/638ws ... RITE_C.zip
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

That one works. Looks sharp, very nice! Looking forward to seeing how you use it next. :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe Now that I am pretty much the dork of the sprites world, I am onto my next low thing............ just another ordinary picture loading. I sprite managed to load a plane 16 color bitmap in. I am proud of myself that it reproduce the image exactly. However, with only 16 colors the people looked well less than real? haha
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

So now we have the sprite routine and the graphics loader that I just uploaded today. Now you can combine the two yourself to load a picture sprite instead of just using circles, rectangles, etc. Now you can see making a game coming together. You are now able to move a walking person across the screen instead of just bouncing the circle on the screen.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cskms ... 1k/VGA.EXE

Okay the link I just gave is a VGA demo to be run in DOSBox.

If it does not work in DOSBox please check the options to make sure the setting is VGA in the graphics section of yor DOSBox settings.

Anyways, I am bored today so I made this hopefully iris program just for fun.

It demonstrates the use of 255 colors or officially 256 colors - I just like using 255 because I am used to the computer language numbering from 0 to 255. Humans number from 1 to 256 - the computer considers 0 the start while we usually consider 1 the start. Anyways, it is programmed to adjust the radius from center to outside and back down. To exit the program just press spacebar. If any of you ever downloaded my Tic-Tac-Toe program it is locked if you run it on a pure DOS system. Sure you have to do a hard reset to shut down. I'm sorry about that. That is the time of my start in C, "Borland Turbo C 2.01". Anyways, Borland Turbo C 2.01 has treat me good. I have no complaints. It is not as fast as assembly however assembly takes too long to code. Besides, I am using that as an excuse to say I am stupid and cannot learn assembly haha
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, $124 down the drain for the assembly language package. I love it! My mother got me my Mercedes-Benz so to speak haha Well, while kids graduate and get REAL Mercedes-Benz for their graduation presents, I get to work after receiving my philosophical Mercedes-Benz, which is really my Borland Turbo Assembler 5.0 hehe

Anyways, I am still using Borland Turbo C 2.01 these days. I love that too. Something about Borland. They just give me this tingly vibe haha Anyways, it is the month of love. Well, it is almost 21 years to the day that I fell head over heels hehe Now a days I just give up and say I'm not cut out for that. So I bury myself in my Borland stuffs. I was always good at Borland stuffs. At L.C.C.C. (Lehigh Carbon Community College) they taught programming languages using all Borland products. Well, Seeing it is 20 or so years later and I am still using Borland brand I guess it is my soulmate hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

On a philosophical note, does having something you appreciate make your life complete? Not really, when I was homeless I enjoyed my life immensely; It doesn't mean I would want to do it again. I'm just saying when I had nothing I looked to God. I remember laying on the sidewalk sleeping and crying up to God. I slept in the corner of this one entrance to the door way. I saw a couple of strangers walked by and look. Now I think back and am grateful to God that I'm safe and happy and have it all. I think God was telling me I needed to experience the low points in my life to realize the good when I see it. That is like dating. You mess around and then you realize you are alone because you screwed up the relationship of your life. I guess it makes you realize the good when you see it and not f*&& it up.

Anyways, the point I am making is I love Borland Turbo Assembler 5.0! hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Well, as far as being successful. I know it is because of God who sent his only son Jesus Christ to save even me the worst non-denominational Christian! Even though I was baptized many years ago at an official church, it still does not make me a perfect person. It just means that I am enrolled in church that is all.

In fact, I am so bad I do not even go to church. Worst than that I even curse in my mind. I might not say it out loud however I do curse in my mind when people upset me. I think it is only human to be like that. I do not think anyone is perfect like Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ lets people step all over him. No matter what he let them beat him and he even loved his enemies who killed him. That is totally crazy in my book.

Why would someone love someone that would kill you? That is not something that makes sense to me. However Jesus Christ is perfect and has no evil thoughts of getting revenge. That is why Jesus Christ is the King of all!

Anyways, if Jesus Christ is alive somehow in a meaningful way then my faith in Jesus Christ makes me a good enough programmer to be respected in my area of expertise. If not then Jesus Christ is just a figment of my imagination! haha Well, call me a gambler. I take it either way. If I lose then I am nobody special in programming. In fact, I should probably throw in the towel right now because I have not come out with any 3D games with true lifelike characters yet... :angel:
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, after this post I am retired. This is my final contribution to the gaming world. It is the most humble sprite demo. Here you see an application of my sprite routine used. Not only is there a single sprite on the screen, but also another sprite is also working independently of the first one!

On top of this, a complex trigonometric calculation is going on underneath to swirl and slowly grow outwards without messing the sprites movement or graphics.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/0y0d2i4gg02vxa2/SPRITE2.C

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a00sq ... PRITE2.EXE

Bye bye world. It has been fun. However, my time is over. I have reached my maximum potential. Thank you for letting me share my brief two months of fun here on WWW.DOSGAMES.COM.

I know you have all been very patient to listen to me rant. It is time for me to shut up and let you go back to your normal lives. My main point was that I hope I taught you all something you can use. Hopefully a handful of you will go on to become DOS game programmers while the others go on to be DOS game players.

The End :)
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.