Adjusting the keyboard layout in DOSBox

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
RocknRollTim

Adjusting the keyboard layout in DOSBox

Post by RocknRollTim »

Hi there,

I was wondering whether someone could please tell me how to adjust the keyboard layout in DOSBox so that it suits the keyboard layout of my Fujitsu A512.

Also could someone please tell me how to adjust the keyboard layout in DOSBox so that it suits the keyboard layout of my Sony VAIO Duo 13 (SVD1321C5E).

Lastly how do you get the swivel symbol to appear in DOSBox.

Thanks,

RocknRollTim
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Yes, dealing with keyboards it doesn't just like is a bit of a hassle.

The easiest way I know is using CTRL-F1 key mapper from inside dosbox. That shows a graphical keyboard, and you can click on the key that doesn't type right to get to it.

Using the mapper you can "bind" an actual keypress from the uncooperative keyboard to a key you select from the displayed keyboard. (I think you can bind joystick actions as well.) Once you've got it bound, you can save that keyboard map and copy/use it wherever you need it, but you'll have to create one for each keyboard you use.

Googling dosbox keymapper will get you the actual documentation and images of the keymapper at work, or ask if you have any further questions. My laptop doesn't like the []\' keys, and I often have to remap to play with it.

If it's an option, it can also save some hassle if you have a "normal" usb keyboard you can plug into the uncooperative computer. I sometimes do that instead of messing with the mapper - If I'm at home and it's convenient.

hopefully that gets you started on the right path!
RocknRollTim

Post by RocknRollTim »

Hi Quadko,

I'll try what you suggested in order to configure the keyboard layouts correctly in DOS Box on both systems and to let you know. Thank you for all your help.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

P.S. Apologies for getting back to you a few days late.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

:) No worries! Hope it goes smoothly, but let us know if you have problems.
RocknRollTim

Post by RocknRollTim »

Hi Quadko,

Sorry for taking the time in getting back to you, I have tried the various suggestions in the following links http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=32714 and http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/KEYB in order to get certain symbols such as : and \ to correspond with DOSBox especially http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/KEYB in which I can only get keyboard layout uk for codepage 858 and not for 166 and 168. Also I can get : to work with the suggestions mentioned in http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=32714 but \ won't correspond with any of the apps mentioned in the link. Your further input would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

P.S. I have also tried the mapper using the following link http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Mapper and can't amend any of the keys to the way I want them to work such as : instead of ;.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I missed that the ball was back in my court, oops! Hopefully you figured it out.

I haven't done any manual editing, though in theory it should be fairly easy. Everything I've done is through the keymapper, clicking with a mouse on the key I want to send to dosbox like ] or \ and then clicking [Add] and typing the key on my keyboard. If you are beyond that, you've gone further than I. Mostly I'm mapping unbehaving laptop keyboards to behave properly, or moving crazy op az directional keys to proper arrow keys.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Quadko, I've got you now, should have sussed this out awhile back, why didn't I think of this before instead of over complicating things like I do. :s Anyway thank you for all your help and I can now happily say that this problem has been resolved.

Many thanks,

RocknRollTim

P.S. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Quadko is pretty cool like that. I cannot reveal what he did for me, however, he went out of his way and made my life fun! I never got to thank you for that! Thank you.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

No worries, guys! Glad to be of service, and have others help me in my turn. :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Quadko wrote:No worries, guys! Glad to be of service, and have others help me in my turn. :)
Well, I do NOT deserve Quadko's friendship! He gives a lot. He once gave me something and I had the nerve to call him "cheap". Then he went over the top and got me something "expensive"!

Quadko deserves all the kindness the people can give him#!!

Why would I go out of my way to say something nice about someone?

It could be because Quadko is my friend? Not likely.

Only if a person has done something beyond a shadow of a doubt that was worth a person's dignity would I say that#!!
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.