Mines of Morgoth

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Mines of Morgoth

Post by Quadko »

MrFlibble mentioned graphical roguelike Mines of Morgoth (similar to Castle of Winds) on this thread, but I had a hard time finding the mentioned demo. Google, etc., all just mention the now-defunct minesofmorgoth.com, but using the internet archive / wayback machine I was finally able to track it down to the developer's company site Moongate Software at Moongate.me. (heh, cool logo.) Since it was relatively hard, I figured I'd post in case anyone else would be interested, and it looks like he needs some linkage. I'm all for indie rpgs and roguelikes!

<center>Mines of Morgoth Game &#9830; Screenshots &#9830; Demo Download</center><center>A turn-based fantasy Role Playing Game for Windows.</center>

Full game currently £9 via Paypal. And he's reportedly working on a new hex wargame "Panzer Blitz". Best of luck to him!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Cool! I remember I visited their site once when it was still functional, then just dug some stuff from Wayback Machine copies. Didn't know they moved to another domain.
noodles

Post by noodles »

Hello, I'm the author of Mines of Morgoth.
If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask.

I noticed it does not display on some machines these days as I put too much faith in the DirectX 1024x768 mode as unlikely to create any problems. I was too lazy to put in checking code to fall back to windowed mode, which I had put in initially but decided there was no reason for it after all since back in those days it always ran fine in full screen on any PC I could test.

It is a clone of Moria (Amiga version) and was coded in VB6 from scratch, all 30000 lines of it. Of course I looked at the original source code in C for the RNG and other stuff like the monster list but everything else I did on my own using more advanced algos than the original, especially the AI.

I hope one day to come back to it and redo it once more with all 40 levels of the original (mine only has the first 20) and animation for all monsters.

I had a well-known publisher for it but the guy wanted to butcher the game so much I would have been ashamed to have my name on it so I refused the offer.

Currently learning C++ to be able to go a bit further in game coding but hesitating with C# as my choice of game coding language.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello, and welcome to the forums! :D

The only question I can think of for now, how many pre-v1.0 versions of the game were actually preserved by the Wayback Machine? The ones that I got working links for are: Also, were there any features that you coded in one of pre-v1.0 releases but subsequently decided to remove?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Welcome! Thanks for coming by.

30k lines? Wow, nice.

I've lived in both c++ and c# professionally, and I'm very addicted to c# and would recommend it for almost anything. The practical difference for applications and game and such is that C# takes care of you, so less irrelevant bugs like memory and pointer problems. Plus, you can write switch statements on string variables. After 10 years in c++ where you can't, that was addictive. Certainly C++ is great, too, but it takes longer to write more code that does less and isn't as portable. Given the option for a project, I'd always recommend C#! However, the most important thing is making progress, so by all means pick a language and go for it. You can't really lose, other than having to port code to the other language later worst case.

Cheers, mate!
noodles

Post by noodles »

MrFlibble wrote: Also, were there any features that you coded in one of pre-v1.0 releases but subsequently decided to remove?
I removed the music as it got on my nerves after a while and wasn't that good anyway to begin with.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I've been playing on and off on win7 x64 on intel graphics laptop-ish tech, and it works fine but a little slowly (as do many other games, something about 2d graphics on intel chips).

I finally fired up my gaming rig and tried it on win7 x32 w/ real graphics card - and it said it wanted WinXP! :D That was funny.

I've got two other setups I can try it on, both win7 x64 with different graphics cards, so I've got other chances to get it working at a faster speed, still.

I thought that was amusing, not really a problem. I was starting to think I may need to setup an XP gaming rig anymore; this just pushes me closer. My win7 rig started out late XP; maybe if I can budget for a new gaming rig (way past time, obviously, though it seems to matter less anymore) I can set that one back to XP and put it alongside the '98 rig I've got gather dust for those 5-ish games or so that won't run on 7.

Anyway, wanted to say still having fun with this.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Reading this particular post makes me realize "again" that there are so many talented people out there. Right now I am trying to get a hold of Intel's register setup and so on. I am trying to program in Windows with Assembly language. Once I know the graphics chip then I have to get to learning the keyboard input/output, and see if the joystick registers are any different. So anyways, I should probably stick to what I know hehe

I know DOS and should just work on a game instead of just studying these new stuffs that outpace me.
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.