Rogue Shooter

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Rogue Shooter

Post by MrFlibble »

I was actually trying to locate the BurgerTime clone we're discussing here by using Google Image search, but instead found this blog about retro(ish) games. And within it there's an entry about an Indie game called Rogue Shooter.

Essentially, it's a sci-fi themed first-person roguelike which apparently runs on a Wolfenstein 3-D-like 2.5D engine - or a careful imitation thereof. At any rate, it's got the 90 degree walls of the majority of pre-Doom first-person games. Visually and thematically Rogue Shooter can be compared to Blake Stone to a certain extent, while gameplay- and level design-wise it seems to resemble Corridor 7. But Rogue Shooter stands on its own merit, and after watching this video review that shows some rather extensive gameplay I got the impression that the game is quite nicely done.

[Edit] Another nice review video.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I like the idea, but the win/lose on those old FPS really is maps. If the random maps are good and the rest fun, very cool.

Thanks for bringing it up, not one I'd seen.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

It is my understanding that the levels are generated by the same principle as in the traditional top-down roguelikes. Judging by the gameplay videos, the result has a distinct Corridor 7 feel.