DOS - Music composing

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Nemesis Zero II

DOS - Music composing

Post by Nemesis Zero II »

There were two things I did with MS DOS during my youth:
- Gaming
- Composing / listening of Music

The 2nd item is what I would like to talk about here. I used FastTracker II and samples to compose xm-files (not professional, quite simple but for fun together with friends). I played them (and music from other composers) with cubic player V1.7.

I am thinking about composing a new song with FastTracker II again after 15 years just for fun.

Are there other composers who like to talk about their DOS-music career / experience / tools?
Let the 90s never die!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Do it! I've messed around with MilkyTracker and Famitracker a few times. I love making music, but I just can't find myself skilled enough to make anything masterful. Maybe one day.
Nemesis Zero II

Dear wardrich,

my music wasn't also masterful. Anyway, I had fun and I found some people who liked to listen. I was lucky, we were a group with the same hobby. We exchanged our music and experiences / samples.
If you have still interest, go on composing! Don't stop, just for fun.
Let the 90s never die!
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

I used Impulse Tracker back in the day. Of course, no one ever heard my songs, too self-conscious for that. :upset: Recently I played around with Schismtracker for Windows, because it basically attempts to copy IT. But then I realized that IT runs quite well in the newest version of DOSBox (it didn't run so well in older versions years ago) and Schismtracker is rather buggy, so now I just run the original when I feel like messing around. B)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Nemesis Zero II

Shine on!

Dear Emmzee,

don't hide your light, an artist needs audience. The thought and creativity counts.
Let the 90s never die!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I play the piano (very rusty now) because I bought an MT32 package from Sierra for Space Quest 3 (I think it was 3), that got me into MIDI, I eventually bought a cheap MIDI keyboard, and between "writing music" on one of the bundled staff music utilities and learning to play, ended up playing with friends in college and up 'til my early 30s when a move finally saw my current equipment all get packed away.

I often think about getting back into it, just balk at the time. And kick myself for sitting in front of the TV instead of doing such projects and self improvement. But I'd love to retire having developed some such skills and not be too rusty at it. [sigh] Still lots of time until retirement, the "retire at 35" plan didn't even come close to working.

Cheers to all the computer musicians! B)
Nemesis Zero II

since I have a busy job AND a family my music plans are also standing still. The best opportunity for me is, when I have an out-of-office-job (my english is strange I know) at a boring place.
Let the 90s never die!
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Nemesis Zero II wrote: out-of-office-job

Is that like an out-of-body-experience? :laugh:

Seriously, paycheck + freedom = wonderful. I'm saying that from my office, dreaming of freedom, but happy for paycheck.
Nemesis Zero II

Yes, it is:) I meant a visit on costumer site at a place in the world where is nothing to do in the evening hours. Then I have the time for composing.
Let the 90s never die!