Anybody play Dwarf Fortress?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Anybody play Dwarf Fortress?

Post by wardrich »

Dogbreath & emmzee, I'm looking in your general direction.

Just heard about it on Reddit the other day... What's it about? It has a wiki so I'm impressed, but I'm not going to read through a whole wiki to play a text-based game. Reading? Ain't nobody got time for dat.

If anybody is wondering: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

I heard about it and tried it awhile back, like probably 2 years ago, but it was too in-depth and I didn't really want to spend the time to get into it.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I find it to be a mix of hack/rogue, settlers and minecraft perhaps.
I've tried it a bit, but it's not my cup of tea.

You start out with a colonizing party, select a likely area, and build a fortress in the wilderness. Sometimes trade caravans come by, sometimes orc raiders, or other neighbours...the object is to create a thriving community in your fortress/dungeon, which can take some time, generations in fact.

I think the players sometimes enjoy writing of the challenges as much as playing the game, here is an introduction to a long play chronicle:
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Syr ... date%2001/
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

emmzee wrote:it was too in-depth and I didn't really want to spend the time to get into it.
Same here, it's one of those "if only there was enough free time to properly play it" games to me.

Not to mention it apparently requires quite some time just to learn how to play it.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Ditto. I want to play and love it, and enjoy hearing about it. I've installed it once or twice, but the learning curve is steeper than I'm willing to devote any time to. So I end up just surfing the stories or the tilesets and dreaming of what could be. All the fun, none of the work.

Unreal World is much the same - I want to love it, I've played some turns, but wow! On the other hand, they'd both be on my "take one thumb drive of games to a desert island" list.
Cmaza
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Cmaza »

I don't play the game.. But I've got a few friends that do. Looks pretty good.. But I get lazy with games nowadays. :-/