HOMM 2 Q's

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
DOS33

HOMM 2 Q's

Post by DOS33 »

I recently bought a copy of HOMM 2 Gold off GOG. It seems to use DOSBOX to run, wasn't this a Windows game? Also what was the original

resolution, it runs by default in a 640x480 window. It actually looks and runs pretty well windowed, but as soon as I run fullscreen the mouse

just behaves badly, like it's overaccelerated for some reason. Switch back to windowed mode, the mouse works just fine again.

I tried changing the windowresolution option in the .conf file to 800x600, it displays fine windowed but the mouse pointer is no longer

calibrated on my touchscreen.

I've tried different autolock, sensitivity, aspect and scaler values in the config file, but the game seems to run fine in a 640x480 window

only.

Is there a way I could try to run the windows version somehow without DOSBOX and just fiddle with the compatibility options in Windows to get it

to work properly in fullscreen?

I'm using a Panasonic CF-U1 tablet running Win 7 Pro, max screen resolution is 1024x600.

Thanks for any info!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

As you bought it on GOG shouldn't you be better off asking on GOG's support forum .....??????
Anyway:
DOS33 wrote:as the original resolution, it runs by default in a 640x480 window.
HoMM2 was released as dos ànd win game, both versions were on the CD.
Original res :640x480
DOS33 wrote: I tried changing the windowresolution option in the .conf file to 800x600, it displays fine windowed but the mouse pointer is no longer calibrated on my touchscreen.

I've tried different autolock, sensitivity, aspect and scaler values in the config file, but the game seems to run fine in a 640x480 window only.
Look what dosbox.conf file is using, if you can't go higher than 640x480 in a window it's probably set to 'surface', alter that to 'ddraw' and adapt windowres, something in the vain of:

Code: Select all

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=800x600
output=ddraw
DOS33 wrote: Is there a way I could try to run the windows version somehow without DOSBOX and just fiddle with the compatibility options in Windows to get it to work properly in fullscreen?

I'm using a Panasonic CF-U1 tablet running Win 7 Pro, max screen resolution is 1024x600.
The windows ver of Homm2 will probably not run in Win7
For your mouse troubles play with 'autolock' and 'sensivity' settings, however I don't know if that will help on a tablet, no idea, too much own altered drivers on those things.
You also can try with another dos mouse driver, something as 'cutemouse', had some succes using that mouse driver to get a mouse working with recalcitrant games in the past.
Just load the driver via [autoexec] in dosbox conf.

Another possibility if **if** the game ISO is included in the GOG download is to run it in VPC2007/W98SE, Winversion runs fine in VPC, however, once again, no idea if VPC2007/W98SE will run on a tablet PC.......

You could try your luck @Vogons, home of the dosbox devs
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php

But I don't know if they will provide support for GOG games, as GOG has a habit of altering game files .......
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.