Best sound setting for Magic Carpet that is closest to AWE32

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
spytek

Best sound setting for Magic Carpet that is closest to AWE32

Post by spytek »

Hi

I have Magic Carpet and use to play it on my old pc that had a Sound Blaster AWE32 card installed. Recently, I've been playing Magic Carpet on my newer pc but the sound emulation in DosBox isnt as good as that on the old pc. Is there any way to get the music to sound exactly like how it sounds on the AWE32 card? If not, what is the best sound settings to use that will get me close to the sound I want?

Thanks
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Try different soundcards in dosbox config under header [sblaster]
Usually the higher (sb2 ... etc) the better the sound, but it also will demand more from your CPU.

As for:
spytek wrote:....but the sound emulation in DosBox isnt as good as that on the old pc. Is there any way to get the music to sound exactly like how it sounds on the AWE32 card?.....
It's all in the eye (ear?) of the beholder ..... :laugh:
Ahem, seriously, if the sound doesn't sound right it can come from several other reasons than dosbox, (speakers.... crappy onboard soundchip .... whatever)

Also, do you have the original CD or a download?
How do you run the game? (mount lines& inputs? )
Your OS?

[Edit]
Game list @ Vogons advises those game settings for sound:

Sound = soundblaster 16
Music = soundblaster 16 fm
A220 I7 D1 Music I/O: 388

[Edit²]
Just crossed my mine, there is a playstation version of the game that runs fine in ePSXe PS1 emulator, maybe it has better sound?
ePSXe has also several plugins so that you can crank up graphs/sounds.....
just an idea...
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
spytek

Post by spytek »

Thanks for your reply

Yep I have the original CD but copied the entire content to the C: drive as I was getting errors.

I just use dos box to mount the copied directory to C: using the following commands:

mount C C:\games\magicc~1
C:
carpet.exe

and this runs the game fine. I've tried the different sound card settings in game. Some crash, some sound even worse. The sound effects are fine. Its just the game music itself which doesnt sound as good as how it sounds through the AWE32 soundcard and I still use the same speakers I had ;)

I will try those settings that are suggested above but for now I will assume the sound wont be as good as the AWE32 sound.

Thanks again
:thumbsup:

Post by Guest »

DOSBox doesn't emulate the AWE32, so you have to use a little workaround if you want AWE music:

Use a program to set up a virtual midi device (I recommend Bassmidi), get an AWE soundfont from the web, load it through your newly installed virtual midi device and configure DOSBox accordingly (use D-Fend if you aren't familiar with that/don't feel up to it).

Search the web for 'Bassmidi' for alle the relevant downloads and step-by-step instructions.

The newer Daum SVN builds supposedly have Timidity and Coreaudio built in too, but I couldn't get them to load different soundfonts (though I didn't really try that hard - it's quite possible that they work perfectly and that I missed something obvious).