Problems with dosbox games

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
tyco

Problems with dosbox games

Post by tyco »

Hello!
I am having a few problems with dosbox. Some appear on my XP system and on Linux, others only on Linux(Ubuntu 11.04). So...I installed Dosbox on my Linux system. It works, it loads up the game...all fine here...but now the problems start. I tested 2 games, Lode Runner and Carmagedon. For load runner in window mode it works pretty well, no complains there. But if i press ALT+Enter to maximize the screen the problems begin, it's like my keyboard isn't recognized...and it keeps pressing a key. I don't know what to do. I haven't tried it on xp to see if the same problem exists.
For Carmagedon the problems are worse. It loads up but when i start the game(on XP or on Linux), it goes painfully slow...frame by frame...it takes about 1 minute to accelerate at full speed. In Linux if i maximize the screen i get the same problem again...the game doesn't respond. Another thing is that i keep having this vertical stripes at regular intervals...its like watching the game through a bared window. The mouse, although the pointer moves, when i click it does absolutely nothing, and i can't change the game controls. when i press enter it instantaneously sets that action to key C its like it press enter c enter very fast.
PLS Help!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Simply don't run fullscreen, looks horrific anyway .... just saying.

Much better is to 'stretch' the dosbox window via dosbox.conf.

My settings (on both my 24" 16:9 LCDs) are:

Code: Select all

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=1024x768
output=ddraw
All adaptable to your own hardware and your personal prefs.
Read the dosbox manual/wiki to know more.

As for Carma:
No idea, don't know your hardware nor dosbox settings, and Carma is a highly demanding game, you'll need beefy hardware to get that one running smoothly.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.