machine heating

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
eric1

machine heating

Post by eric1 »

I am running an application in DOS (programming stuff, not a game.) A few years back, I was running a DOS game on Windows XP (2002 era machine) and I believe my machine overheated somehow (microprocessor, possibly.) and it stopped working completely and I had to send it in for repairs.

Is there some way to know if I am doing harm to my computer by running my DOS application? Should I be running DOSbox for the application?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Did your computer stop turning on?
Was there masses of dust inside?
Was there an Electrical storm while you were using the Computer?

Also Im hoping the company put thermal glue on the processor.

Generally running an Mac / DOS / Unix / Terminal application to compile something will cause the processor to run overtime.
eric1

Post by eric1 »

I haven't been getting any trouble with my application. I am also using a 2005 era computer that has never had problems with DOS programs, but then again I haven't used any DOS programs.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

eric1 wrote:I am also using a 2005 era computer that has never had problems with DOS programs, but then again I haven't used any DOS programs.
If you never used Dos progs on it you hardly can get problems with them, isn't it?

Otherwise, what Wally said.

Keep in mind that Dos programs burdens heavily the CPU under XP/Vista.
DMA and NT ones aren't good friends.
You're better of running them in dosbox or if that fails (dosbox is meant for gaming) VPC/MSDos.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.