LHX Attack chopper: medals and "dropping the cargo"

Ask for help with playing games, or post your own tips and strategies.
MBK

Post by MBK »

iwaN wrote:
MBK wrote: on the way back just follow the path you cleared.
or you can fly above 25000 with ausprey, out of reach of enemy's fire
well this is not worth it. approaching target, or climbing to this level makes you prime target for all the fire in the vicinity. You'd be better off flying at low levels(<100) at maximum speed.

EDIT: does not work the way you suggest.
Last edited by MBK on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MBK

Post by MBK »

iwaN wrote:
markusb81 wrote: (being invisible or having unlimited ammo)
unlimited ammo.. how do u mean?.. i thought you dont get any points for using ctrl+r
you have to have a special crack for that.
MBK

Post by MBK »

iwaN wrote:
MBK wrote:as I said (based on the official data on MOH), go for a rescue mission (Europe), get injured, bang up the chopper and get back.
did it work for you?
Well, this is the plan. So far I am only good enough to fly "hard" missions in Europe.

EDIT: well, if the author intended to mimic reality he would have done it this way
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

iwaN wrote:or you can fly above 25000 with ausprey, out of reach of enemy's fire
... something I didn't know or forgot.

I usually fly below 50 to be out of sight.
A possible tactic above 25000 would be to let the enemy run out of fire along the interesting path. Today I did this successfully a couple of times too.

Another remark:
Sometimes on POW Rescue in Germany at Very Hard I was awarded a silver star AND a purple heart. And I got injured before or while picking up the people.
So this is not enough...
MBK

Post by MBK »

^^ flying over 25000 does not work for me. at least not in Libya where I tried it.

^^^ with or without unlimited ammo?
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

MBK wrote: ^^^ with or without unlimited ammo?
I have to admit I almost always use the cracked exe with 9900 Sidewinders&Co. It's so much more convenient.
And I hope this doesn't affect the final medal?! :rolleyes:
iwaN

Post by iwaN »

i just suggested getting out of there by flyin over 25000 with osprey.. of course i know getting to that height can be fatal.. but if you have some chaff/flare left and have a few hits left, .. why not

btw. do you guys get more points for not using easy landings, fast cockpit and high details?
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

iwaN wrote:i just suggested getting out of there by flyin over 25000 with osprey.. of course i know getting to that height can be fatal.. but if you have some chaff/flare left and have a few hits left, .. why not
You can even defend a lot by just turning the jammers on and off (R, I).
iwaN wrote: btw. do you guys get more points for not using easy landings, fast cockpit and high details?
According to the manual there are definitely less points for easy landings!
The other things are just PC performance stuff, nothing important, I guess.
MBK

Post by MBK »

I've tried to fly over 25'000, but was hit by every missile they fired.

Markus: you own a manual?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Not really the manual, but all keys are listed:
http://www.hotud.org/component/content/ ... tion/20323
"lhx.txt"
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

MBK wrote:Markus: you own a manual?
Yes, I do...
But I'm unsure whether this is allowed to be freely distributed.
It's quite lengthy (above 100 pages), I did not read it entirely, just glanced through. Perhaps some interesting aspects, I don't know... :shame:

There is also the following description of the medals. Unfortunately this is absolutely unusable.
+++
The medals you can be awarded are:
Purple Heart For getting wounded in battle.
Good Conduct Medal For achieving a high mission success rate.
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal For distinguished performance in battles around the globe.
Silver Star For distinguished performance in achieving mission goals
Air Medal For distinguished performance in aerial combat
Distinguished Service Cross For exceptional performance in achieving mission goals
Distinguished Flying Cross For exceptional performance in aerial combat.
Medal of Honor For outstanding performance in mission goals.
+++
Besides, here is the HEX-cheat for almost unlimited ammo (for those who don't know or have problems to google it):
LHX.EXE
00004068: 8B B8
00004069: 84 00
0000406A: 72 00
0000406B: F3 90
(Grab a HEX-Editor. Find 8B and replace it by B8, then 84 by 00 and so on... if I remember correctly.)
MBK

Post by MBK »

Well, it's not that hopeless as it seems. At least it tells you Silver Star and Air Medal go together at a given performance level and both crosses likewise, but on a higher one (which is not in real). Medal of Honor should be a combination of both.

In a "rough" translation "achieving mission goals" should mean score for anything you kill except flying units. Aerial combat is clear enough.

Now, how you can actually score enough to get to the required levels for the silver star and the latter cross is not clear for me since without a cheat you have not enough ammo, nor fuel to do so. (even doing combat missions on a Blackhawk, which is not intended)

I'd be interested if you can post how the manual defines point scoring at different levels.
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

Interested in another way that doesn't work for medal of honor??

Just achieved barely above 3000 and got injured -> brought me both purple heart and dist. serv. cross!
(Libya, Very Hard, Osprey, Chem. Warf.)

I even waited until I was about to die before finally landing.
MBK

Post by MBK »

Yea. Today I tried to go for a rescue mission in Europe, hard and on a Blackhawk without an easy landing option (however, with an unlimited ammo). 5407 pts. and dist serv. cross.

One other thing worth knowing from manual:
You get more points for using a technologically less sophisticated helicopter. The helicopters, in order of increasing sophistication are: Black Hawk, Apache, Osprey, LHX.
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

MBK wrote:Yea. Today I tried to go for a rescue mission in Europe, hard and on a Blackhawk without an easy landing option (however, with an unlimited ammo). 5407 pts. and dist serv. cross.

One other thing worth knowing from manual:
You get more points for using a technologically less sophisticated helicopter. The helicopters, in order of increasing sophistication are: Black Hawk, Apache, Osprey, LHX.
Oh, yeah... see...
I almost forgot this, thanks! I was so fixed on using an Osprey since the report from Axelon some posts above...
(But of course BH is extremely difficult...)
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

:angry:
Still no success regarding this last medal...
Played Dustoff/Germany/VeryHard/Osprey a hundred times, even without cheating.
I'm desperate, would really like to know about the exact circumstances for this medal of honor.
MBK

Post by MBK »

mee too. believe me. I'm also really weirded by the pts. needed for medals achieved in strike mission (silver star, dist. flying cross) because normally they should be very hard to achieve.
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

Got it!!!!!!!!!!

The final medal:
Congressional Medal of Honor
I got it together with the Purple Heart for 4152 points, getting injured (don't think that it matters what time), playing POW Rescue, Germany, very hard, Osprey.
How was ist possible to achieve that many points and what did I do exactly?
First I flew to a base where enemy aircraft takes off and eliminated *all* of them (at some stage nothing takes off anymore). Then I went after my mission goal. After that I would have tried to find a "softly" firing enemy to get injured. Actually I didn't had to, because injury happened just by itself during working around the POW camp.

Draw back: used the unlimited ammo modified exe.
It is almost a must to find out, if it can be done without cheating.

So far I didn't repeat it. Would be interesting to see, if the medal is awarded more often than once.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Congrats.
:thumbsup:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
markusb81

Post by markusb81 »

By the way, you can get this medal twice. Just achieved that - again after lots of unsuccessful attempts.