looking for a DOS game (need help)

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
savage_zen

looking for a DOS game (need help)

Post by savage_zen »

as a kid (in the 90s) i used to play a DOS game with my dad. the game gave you control of a monster (the one i remember most clearly was a phoenix that could set itself on fire, i think there might have been a unicorn too) and you battled the enemy moster(s) either with 2 players or against the computer. The game had a birds-eye view similar to many flying shooter games, the ones where you continually progress forwards (forwards being the top of the screen), but instead of constantly flying up it was free-roaming. the maps were extremely large compared to the character size, allowing kiting and chases across large areas. the monsters had a few unique attacks, and the maps had varied terrain, such as forests and lava fields. i cant remember the name of the game, but if anyone could help me locate it, it would be hugely appreciated

thanks,
chris
savage_zen

Post by savage_zen »

just to clear things up, the gae is similar to asteroids in terms of perspective, like a 2d shooter, but it isnt a shooter
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
savage_zen

Post by savage_zen »

the perspective is closest to magic candle map more than anything else, except that the map is on a much smaller scale, say the area of a forest. what i mean is a tree or something on the landscape is around the same size or a little bit bigger than the castle on the magic candle map. i'm fairly sure the game is either a top down view or nearly a top-down view. but it isn't an RPG either, it's kind of a combat game between 2 monsters on a large map

actually, now that i think about it the view was very similar to an RTS like warcraft. the game itself is a lot like an RTS game, except that the player only controls one unit
savage_zen

Post by savage_zen »

after hours of searching through old boxes in the deepest recesses of my basement, i found the game i was looking for- it was Archon Ultra! i guess i forgot the chess-like part of the game, and only remembered the combat. definitely worth a try:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/812/Archon+Ultra.html
Last edited by savage_zen on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Link snipped, not allowed, read the rulez please, THX.
Even if Abandonia is quite OK.....

Allowed is:
Archon:
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=1784
Archon Ultra:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/archon-ultra
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=1785
savage_zen wrote: i guess i forgot the chess-like part of the game,.....
Then you missed to mention the key clue, many here know that game ...... :laugh:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
savage_zen

Post by savage_zen »

sorry about that :S

haha i was little at the time, i think i was much more entertained by the fighting creatures than by the chessboard
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

If you're interested in something similar but much better give Battle Chess a try.
savage_zen

Post by savage_zen »

also found that in my basement. that was the first game i ever played, and i loved it