Help with pirate games or not ?

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Help with pirate games or not ?

Post by MiniMax »

As in so much else here in life, the following holds true:

If you have the knowledge and the time, do it yourself and it will be cheap.
If you don't know what you are doing, you have to pay someone else to do it for you.

In this case, the poster wants to go cheap by illegally downloading a copy of the game, but don't have a f.cking glue what s/he is doing => Disaster.

So buy the game legally, you get a real CD-ROM, and it will be so much easier to get the game going.

*Edit
Splitted from GGTW ~dosraider

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10626
DOSBox ReadMe | DOSBox Wiki | DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

That's a post from MiniMax on Vogons, was a respons to a pirated game problem. WolverineDK told them to give the help the poster needed, and not to be so strict (tight arsed) about illegal game download.
Re: Rednack Rampage issues ... :: 2007-11-06 @ 03:06 pm, MiniMax on Vogons wrote: WolverineDK wrote:
For fucks sake people, don´t be so damn tight arsed.

You would be too, when you for the umpteenth time have tried to help a user getting sound to work - only to find out on page 3 of the thread, that "Oh yeah - I downloaded this game from XXXXXXX" and when you check that download out, it is a badly ripped version without the audio-tracks.

If the tight arsed attitude here don't suit you, you are more than welcome to head over to the forums at www.dosgames.com and help the people there getting their games to work.
Do MiniMax has a point?
Should we be more tight arsed here and when we realise someone ask help for what's obviously a game downloaded from pirate.bay tell them to get lost?
Or should we redirect them to http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php?c=2 and let them ask help there?( joky MM, joky ....)

He HAS a point ya know, pirated games are afterall illegal.
Maybe we should only offer our help for the games that are on our own 2 sites?
Same goes for HotU downloaded games, they have a forum with tech help over there, so why help them here?

Many AW sites only accept to help people for their own games.
And for good reason, I think.

Yes, he has a point.
Let me know what you think 'bout it.
My further behaviour in GGTW will depend of the kind of respons I get from you.
But let me say this: I'm kinda leaning towards the more strict approach of locking/deleting those pirate related posts.
Some of you know this isn't the first time I'm mod/adm on a AW site, and I have to say that usually the AW sites are indeed more strict in those matters.
And -(in my personal opinion)- with good reasons.

I've posted it here cause I want only member respons, not the guest kinda URA BiTcHsUcKeR LiCkMyD*Ck ones. (Though they can be funny to read).
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

URA BiTcHsUcKeR LiCkMyD*Ck

:laugh:

I don't know, most people know when they download a game from site XYZ they're doing something illegal(provided the site XYZ is a warez/abandonware site). And we are here to [somewhat, on a lesser level, sometimes] help people play their ages-old crappy games. Which they love so much they'd be willing to go on the dark side of the internet to download.

And because helping peeps with their warez games then calling the cops on their asses might prove costly, I say be good and help them, but demand to know whether they have a legit or warez copy. That way if it's warez(and/or a proved rip), we post a normal troubleshooter, and then stop bothering.

Let's not forget that this forum comes first when you google "DOS games help. Imagine the amount of <strike>noobs</strike> visitors this forum will lose if we stop providing help with games that don't come from the DOS Games network. Do you really want emmzee to not get the ad revenue he gets? Cuz I have a feeling he likes having food on the table! ;)

Also, this forum's better than the HotU one simple because people around here speak smart english :P
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

If they say in their opening post that they ripped/stole the game from anywhere, then yeah, lock their post. Ripped games are shitty and a lot harder to get working, and also illegal, so there's no good reason why we should help those people.

If they don't say, then give 'em the benefit of the doubt, or ask them if it's apparent that it's a ripped copy. Also, this means we shouldn't help fucktards who can't figure out .ISO files, unless they can prove they came by that .ISO legally. (How often does that happen?)

But everyone else should be helped. I don't really have a problem with helping people who're trying to run AW games from HOTU or Abandonia, just pirated/warez games.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Yea, basically what DB said. Any posts re pirated games should be locked anyways, so that's not even part of the conversation. Posts re obviously ripped/illegal games should also be deleted. Re ISOs, like DB mentioned most of the time these are not legal DLs so its up to you whether you help 'em or not, if they don't get it right away (ie. like the recent ISO thread) prolly better to lock the thread (and continue with them privately if you are so inclined.)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Is it just me, or does it seem that the Crusader games seem to draw a lot of idiots to them? In the OP link (guy asking how to install from an .ISO), the only help that guy should be getting is castration - to make sure he never has any kids that stupid.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Er, kids don't inherit stupidity from only one parent... I don't know how you do it, but in the normal world, it takes two to make one[or more] kid[s]! :P
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Dogbreath wrote:... castration ....
:D
Tempting idea.

** ponders quietly in a corner ................dreams away .... *
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Larry Laffer wrote:Er, kids don't inherit stupidity from only one parent... I don't know how you do it, but in the normal world, it takes two to make one[or more] kid[s]! :P
Alright, alright, we'll do oophorectomys too...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Larry Laffer wrote:... it takes two to make one[or more]! kid[s] :P
If one of the two is deprived of the gonads there won't be much "one[or more]! kid[s]" ...
:blah:
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Dogbreath wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem that the Crusader games seem to draw a lot of idiots to them? In the OP link (guy asking how to install from an .ISO), the only help that guy should be getting is castration - to make sure he never has any kids that stupid.
Crusader is wayyy too hard for noobs to install in dosbox anyway,

the only way i got it installed was to dump the CD image, install the CD from the computer, change some file and then mount the CD drive anyway.

Its a bitch, people shouldn't bother unless they are dead serious.

I only got it installed b/c I had a fair idea, it works fine too :)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:[
Its a bitch, people shouldn't bother unless they are dead serious.
Or have a basic understanding of dosbox...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You should try to follow my howto Wally, you will be amazed how simple it is to install both crusaders.

Ow wait, you can't, you're on a Mac.......