Why i feel this forum hasn't grown at all..

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Winger2
Expert
Expert

Why i feel this forum hasn't grown at all..

Post by Winger2 »

alright..please don't delete or ban me or whatever, because I've been here for over 3 years and I feel like I have a right to my own opinion. I have PMed with numerous people over my time here and barely any of them are still here. I've pretty much compiled a list of the most common reasons they left:
1.) Nearly every new member is flamed on. It usually tends to be in accordance with poor grammar. So someone misspells a few words..this is a GAME site, so the visitors will be from all walks of life. On most sites I'm on, a new members first post is usually met by a regular welcoming them to the site. On here..it tends to be: "you posted in the wrong section" or "could you speak english"
2.) I know this may rub people the wrong way, but people tend not to like Dogbreath. Sorry man, but they say you are still only a teenager, and you act like you are, and I quote, "their God." They can't stand being scolded by someone younger with them..that seems to be a little power hungry.
3.) The whole forum, aside from the three off-topic forums, are ONLY Dosgames. Even the dreamcast forum I'm apart of, has Xbox, Nintendo, Sony, etc. I don't know..there are very few people still interested in SOLELY Dosgames.
Thanks for your time..please don't flame, I've put a lot of time and thought into this post, trying to relay this information in a more helpful manner, than rude.
Winger
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Re: Why i feel this forum hasn't grown at all..

Post by Dogbreath »

Winger2 wrote:alright..please don't delete or ban me or whatever, because I've been here for over 3 years and I feel like I have a right to my own opinion. I have PMed with numerous people over my time here and barely any of them are still here.
You won't be banned just for speaking your mind - especially well thought out like this. (Seriously, we really don't ban people save for extreme spamming or flaming, I can show you the banlist if you want) Thanks for taking the time to write this, anyway. :)

On to the post:
I've pretty much compiled a list of the most common reasons they left:
1.) Nearly every new member is flamed on. It usually tends to be in accordance with poor grammar. So someone misspells a few words..this is a GAME site, so the visitors will be from all walks of life. On most sites I'm on, a new members first post is usually met by a regular welcoming them to the site. On here..it tends to be: "you posted in the wrong section" or "could you speak english"
I've yet to see a newbie being flamed for posting in the wrong section... I always just move them and add a notice. (Generally just "moved") Any examples of this? =/

Proper spelling really is nice, though. It's not something I'd allow flaming on (I recently locked a topic because of people flaming a guy over his spelling), but it makes posts a LOT easier to read. Different forums, different standards, I guess.
2.) I know this may rub people the wrong way, but people tend not to like Dogbreath. Sorry man, but they say you are still only a teenager, and you act like you are, and I quote, "their God." They can't stand being scolded by someone younger with them..that seems to be a little power hungry.
I don't really think my age is relevant.

Other than that, it's my job to admin the forum, ban members, settle disputes, yada yada yada. I don't want to seem like the asshole that lurks until a newbie does something wrong and then "WHAM!", so I also try to be an active member here.

Admittedly, sometimes the member Dogbreath and the admin Dogbreath get mixed up... out of necessity (I'll be in a conversation and someone starts a flamewar, for instance), or out of habit. I'll see about being more sensitive... though seeing that I'll only be here for a few more weeks, there's not much time to change.

I've been told before that a lot of people here dislike me, though since only 2 of said people (you included?) have mentioned why, or even identified themselves, I haven't really bothered doing anything about it. (No, I'm not conceited enough to make a post titled "Why Don't you Like me!?!? :cry:")
3.) The whole forum, aside from the three off-topic forums, are ONLY Dosgames. Even the dreamcast forum I'm apart of, has Xbox, Nintendo, Sony, etc. I don't know..there are very few people still interested in SOLELY Dosgames.
There are plenty of sites for other OS’s; do we really need sections for all of them?
Thanks for your time..please don't flame, I've put a lot of time and thought into this post, trying to relay this information in a more helpful manner, than rude.
Winger
You're very welcome. Be aware, though, while the mods will delete any explicit flames, some people may disagree rather strongly. (Just a guess, for all I know, everyone here agrees with you, I just don't want any flamewars or hurt feelings)
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Re: Why i feel this forum hasn't grown at all..

Post by CPT Worm »

Winger2 wrote:2.) I know this may rub people the wrong way, but people tend not to like Dogbreath. Sorry man, but they say you are still only a teenager, and you act like you are, and I quote, "their God." They can't stand being scolded by someone younger with them..that seems to be a little power hungry.
It's better to view Dogbreath as a good old drinking buddy.

He'll go out and have a fun time with you, but if you go insultin' his mama, and his jolly drunkiness will turn into very angry drunkiness.

(Insultin' his mama = spamming and flaming)
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Winger2 I agree with you.

However DB you do go a little overboard but you are really good as an admin..
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

I would think DB shows more maturity than "your god" attitude. Its those who lack maturity that have a problem.

Besides, im sure more people hate me than DB anyday.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Kazer0: i know what you mean :)

Im trying to slow down that attitude a bit as it has gotten me into trouble..

No im not going to do the JMS and leave when he just asked to moderate a forum :)

BTW DB i was thinking about it and now all the things you have done to make me fit into this forum and the IRC were done quite well. Sorry about my post before.

BTW also a very good checkers player :laugh:
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Regarding the whole newbie-bashing point. This is a segment of a PM I sent to Winger, but I realized it might serve better if placed here for all to see:

...but really, while I appreciate your sticking up for the underdog, telling me the opinions of people here that I'd otherwise not hear... you haven't really been around for many things. Sure, you've been a member for 3 years, but where were you when we were writing the stories? Or during the whole "Krazer0" incident? Or when Bobo and Kazer0 split off to make their own forum, only to go back on it once they figured I wasn't stopping it? Or the late nights spent chatting about earsex and everything else on #loungeact? Or during the hilariously fun mixed bag topics? Or the 1001 ways to kill Wally? Or the rants about sexism? Or JMS's flipping out? Or when we created entire forums to pretend we were being hacked? Or the night Kazer0 got drunk and terrorized the forum? I could go on and on...

DGF is primarily a one time service forum. 90% of our members post in General, and leave once their problem is solved, never to return. For those who stay and make up our community, however, there are many memories, some joyful, some funny, some frustrating, some sad, all wonderful, to be had posting here.

You can join the community, and have a blast, along with an occasional conflict of interest with another member. Or you can sulk in background; too hurt by the fact a couple of people might have made fun of you because you can't type very well.

If you've been genuinely ostracized by members of our forums I'm truly sorry, but all in all I'd rather have a community that's fun to be part of than a community that is entirely "newbie safe." (Not to say the two are incompatible, ideally we'd be both)
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Personally, I'd like to see a few new members that are here to be social.

Julie is the only one who posts nowadays.
Kazer0 wrote:I would think DB shows more maturity than "your god" attitude. Its those who lack maturity that have a problem.

Besides, im sure more people hate me than DB anyday.
You also show maturity.

You remind me of this character named Jin from Samurai Champloo. Quiet, contemplative, but ready to kick ass at the drop of a hat.

---
Trust me, the most annoying thing around here is when people just repeat exactly what someone else just said.
It is really obnoxious, but hey, I don't flame people for it. I just skip over the post. No biggie.
Moo
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Moo »

This topic is a real eye opener. It reveals the true character of some of our members. This fourm may seem like it's seen better days, it probably has, but right now we're in a slump. Hopefully one day we'll climb out of it but until we do, we'll just have to deal with the low active member count. I bet this is a bit off topic but oh well.

P.S. I'm always here, rarely active but here everyday at least once.. I like to hide in the shadows.
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dosser »

I haven't noticed newbiebashing, but if a guest starts posting 8 character posts (or better yet, 3 pages of nothing), I reserve the right to leap at them with a sharpened hammer.

I won't comment on DogBreath cos I really have nothing to say

But I agree with you 100% on making a subforum for other games.
WishboneDawn
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by WishboneDawn »

The whole forum, aside from the three off-topic forums, are ONLY Dosgames.
That's what I really like about this forum. I have other forums for other interests like computer hardware and classic consoles but this one is a great resource for my DOS gaming.
SpaceFans
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by SpaceFans »

:) :) I think Dogbreath is doing a Great Job here. :) :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

Dosraider: I know the feeling..

I dont bash new members who have taken the time to register but have pasted 3 pages of nothing. Its a simple operation and a quick PM.

Where as the guests dont have the PM function and think they can do as they please to this board. Well its their fault..

I will still be here for years to come :) so there is no worry about that.

As per other forums for other systems, I dont belive these would be any use. We tried them before and no they didnt work. I believe it will be posted at for about 1 week and then bam no more posts
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

I'll kill you all.
Wally

Post by Wally »

That just popped up didn’t it thunderdog.. :laugh:
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Thunderdog wrote:I'll kill you all.
Y helo thar!

Nice to see you again, Thunderdog!
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

Why,was he gone?
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Ro@m wrote:Why,was he gone?
I haven't seen him in awhile, at least.

Maybe because I only stick to the social boards.
Zaelok

Post by Zaelok »

(First lemme just say my grammar sucks but im tryin so sorry if its unreadable)
Winger2 wrote:The whole forum, aside from the three off-topic forums, are ONLY Dosgames.
Whilst it may be true that there would be a few more members if other systems had forums, I personaly think it's good that this forum only has DOS.. I mean when you come to a site named "dosgames.com" you'd expect to find DOS related forums if any forums, would you not?

Now I know im a major newb but still.. I felt I should give my oppinion I mean maybe the oppinion of a newb is VERY important as it shows how some new members think, as well as all you old members who have already givin' your thoughts. So please don't just ignore me because im new. ;)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Everybody is welcome, as for your spelling: we has seen worse and mine also isn't gonna give me awards.

Welcome to the forum,Zaelok.

:)

**grumblmgrml another fucking newbie grmblmgrm**