getting doom and duke nukem to work on XP

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
chris777

getting doom and duke nukem to work on XP

Post by chris777 »

I'm desperately tryin to get doom and duke nukem to work on my laptop... i've tried followin all instructions to no avail. i downloaded the program and when tryin to install comes up with

C:\DOCUMEN~1\CHRISC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\TEMPOR~2.ZIP\INSTALL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate aplication

and then gives the option of 'close' or 'ignore'

any helpp would be much appriciated

Thanks
Hylic

Post by Hylic »

Did you try VDMSound or dosbox?
Chris777

Post by Chris777 »

What is VDM Sound or dosbox? how do i change it?
Frenkel
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Frenkel »

You might try some Doom and Duke Nukem 3D ports for Windows.
Groeten van Frenkel
Visit us at the Official S&F Prod. Homepage
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

As far as I know, running the original versions of these games in XP is very problematic. If you want good, smooth gameplay with sound and music, Frenkel's suggestion of source ports is your best bet.

For DOOM I'd suggest Doomsday if you want eye candy and your PC can handle it, otherwise ZDoom or PrBoom. For Duke3D I don't know about specific ports, although I know they exist.
chris777

Post by chris777 »

i'm sorry but i really have no idea what source ports r.

if u could explain what they r and how to get them and run them that would b fantastic

many thanks
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Basically, you take DOOM. But instead of using DOOM.EXE to run the game, you download a different executable file (free!), put it in the directory where your DOOM is and run it.

Here's a good place to download source ports:

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/po ... platform=2

Check the ones I listed above. If you click "link" on that page you will go to the official site of that particular source port, where you can get more information.

Post by Guest »

dr_st wrote:Basically, you take DOOM. But instead of using DOOM.EXE to run the game, you download a different executable file (free!), put it in the directory where your DOOM is and run it.

Check the ones I listed above. If you click "link" on that page you will go to the official site of that particular source port, where you can get more information.
i got these games but they dont work on XP
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Anonymous wrote:
dr_st wrote:Basically, you take DOOM. But instead of using DOOM.EXE to run the game, you download a different executable file (free!), put it in the directory where your DOOM is and run it.

i got these games but they dont work on XP
Stupidity cannot be concealed.
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

"C:\DOCUMEN~1\CHRISC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\TEMPOR~2.ZIP\INSTALL.EXE "
Sometimes if your directory line is to long, it just won't work.

Xp-
Doom works fine in Xp(build 2600), but the sound is screwy. This may cause the glitch. Not the game, the sound. (Get VDMSound or DOSBox... Both work as well)

Duke3d works prefectly for me in Xp(build 2600). :P
Webmaster- <a href="http://www.dosgames.com/~bobo">Bobo's DOSGames</a>
^ Biggest Dos 3D Shooters site in the World! :)
Total Games = <b>201</b>
Over <b>100900</b> Downloads since 2004
wade tha genius!

Post by wade tha genius! »

:devil: ha ha :devil: i had tha same problem but it is easy 2 fix :laugh: first of all u do not have that autoexec.nt file so grap a floppy and get it off someone ellses pc :P then extract it to c:windows\system32 B) ha ha. it worked 4 me and if u dont have it some newer games dont run or install! :devil: e-mail me at [email protected]
wade tha genius

Post by wade tha genius »

:devil: im back! :devil: :devil: exept i have a problem :cry:
i downloaded doom95 off a website (with a mod of the simpsons) and it sais somefinlike it can find doomrun.exe of som shit like dat! :shifty:

e-mail me NOW!

[email protected]
Wow yo smart

Post by Wow yo smart »

Anonymous wrote::devil: im back! :devil: :devil: exept i have a problem :cry:
i downloaded doom95 off a website (with a mod of the simpsons) and it sais somefinlike it can find doomrun.exe of som shit like dat! :shifty:

e-mail me NOW!

[email protected]
wat you gotta do is buy and install the real doom. The one you downloaded is kinda like a free expansion pack and as you know to play an expansion to a game you need the game first! :laugh:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

take a look at :

http://doomsdayhq.com/

you find there jdoom,choose the file with the installer and you will play doom in res 1024X768 with nice graphics.
you also find textures and other upgrade's.
Also suitable for Doom ][, heretic(jheretic) and hexen (jhexen)
their all runs fine under W9X and WXP.
Use it only with a good vidcard and a fast pc.

-->>>THEY DON'T PROVIDE THE GAMES! Only the patches,you already need to have the games!!!!!!!

B)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.