dosgamesonline.com now has a game creation section

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

mac one button mouseing, un-customizable, nearly un-repairable, cheap, bags of garbage.
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Linux: uses more disk space than Windows, although some are just a pain to get installed.
Check-Mate
Lover Of The Tiny Guybrush

Post by Check-Mate »

Thunderdog wrote:Not this again.... I've never had any problems with HOTU being too busy. I must settle this once and for all:

Windows XP: Is a bit more stable than 98. Has problems running certain applications (And don't give me any crap about how it's perfect. I HAVE Windows XP on another computer.)

Windows 98: I get blue screen errors all too frequently. It runs almost any application perfectly.

Case closed.
Ah ha ha ha....I can run any application I want....just the older ones aren't as sophisticated for XP....I'm not saying it's perfect...just saying my computer is better than you...
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

I kinda miss the good 'ol Windows 9x BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. Yeah in my experience WinXP is really stable (I had problems back when I first got my computer where it would suddenly reboot ... but those problems went away during one of the many patches.)

I haven't had too many problems with programs not working in XP ... I eventually got Impulse Tracker working with VDMSound, and most DOS stuff works using either DOSBox, VDMSound or MoSlo.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

My computer still reboots occasionally, with all Emergency Fixes, except SP1, if my Linux on VirtualPC goes down, sometimes XP goes down as well.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Linux Doesnt Take too much space...

Its the SOFTWARE

Although you can run Linux off a CD without iNstalling stuff

Its called Knoppix

Wahahahaaaaaaaaa
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Okay, fine then. Linux with X and a decent Window Manager, and all the required software for networks, internet, and mail. That takes up close to 2GB.
Check-Mate

Post by Check-Mate »

emmzee wrote:I kinda miss the good 'ol Windows 9x BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. Yeah in my experience WinXP is really stable (I had problems back when I first got my computer where it would suddenly reboot ... but those problems went away during one of the many patches.)

I haven't had too many problems with programs not working in XP ... I eventually got Impulse Tracker working with VDMSound, and most DOS stuff works using either DOSBox, VDMSound or MoSlo.
Wow, I thought I was the only one that called it that......I don't miss the blue screen of death at all! Oh....and thanks for the support MZ.... :bday:
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

My friend calls it the Aumish screen of death, thats close. I haven't seen thte blue screen on this PC at all, my pII is majik I tell you!
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

XP axed the blue-screen for an automatic reboot.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Please talk somewhere else about your @#*()&#*(#^$% Windows / Linux / Mac versions. I think this is really off-topic...

Okay now I said that; does somebody likes to write a review of Megazeux for me? This is a really bad program to review so it makes it harder for me... :blah:
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

I can. Just tell me where to send it.
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

Sorry about the review deal, Joris, I've been gone for a while and didn't have time, but, as I download stuff off of your site, I'd be happy to write reviews for you. Also, your review of ZZT is slightly incorrect. ZZT is not mainly used for RPG's, in fact, there haven't been any ZZT RPG's out for a while. ZZT can be used for a mix of things including Action, Adventure, Dungeon Crawls, Side-Scrollers, and pretty much anything if you have enough creativity. MZX, while it is, technically, a better GCS, is not quite as fun, I find, to make games with.

As for the OS argument/nuclear warfare, I am fine with Windows 98, though XP would be great too. The one gripe I have about XP is that the buttons are too big and it seems a little bit <b>too</b> user-friendly. I'm suprised 486 hasn't posted "DOS IS ACE!!!!1111!!!" or something like that yet, but, then again, it doesn't seem like he has been as active lately. No offense, 486.
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

You can set the buttons smaller in XP to make them look like '98.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Thunderdog wrote:I can. Just tell me where to send it.
To joris at tred dot net... :laugh:
Homz wrote:Sorry about the review deal, Joris...
Never mind... but can I expect some reviews or not?
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

Homz wrote:MZX, while it is, technically, a better GCS, is not quite as fun, I find, to make games with.
Well, MZX is a hell of a lot better at Sidescrollers.
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

That much you will never find me arguing with. MZX is ace at sidescrollers, ZZT isn't really that great at it, even though I have enjoyed the few quality ones that have been made, due to the fact that there are no scrolling boards. Still, I have been hard-pressed to find a game for MZX that was expressly sidescroller. Do you know of any?

To Joris:

Yes, please expect reviews!

I'm off school for the holidays now, so I'll make sure I get some out to you. ;)

One little problem. I'm finding it difficult to download games off of your site. My downloader says that the file is not there. Any guess as to why this is happening?
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

Chapter III
Click aici.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

Homz wrote:One little problem. I'm finding it difficult to download games off of your site. My downloader says that the file is not there. Any guess as to why this is happening?
Problems downloading games from my site? I don't have them here... try to disable the downloader and just download the file with IE, it must go good. Anyways, you can download the game from another website too, it doesn't needs to be downloaded from my website... :)
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

That's the problem, you see, when I try to download things normally without the GetRight download client, instead of asking whether I would like to save a file or open it, it just plows on through opening it, and then I have to move it to the place I want on my hard drive, etcetera. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Chapter III
Click aici.
donkeydude

Post by donkeydude »

shweet!!
even though i havn't dwnloaded em yet, they loook TOTTALLY awesome.!
:laugh: :laugh: