dosgames.com site update September 18 2003

Please read topics in this forum regularly. They contain information from the admin and mods on current developments on this message board.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

dosgames.com site update September 18 2003

Post by emmzee »

As it says on the front page:

Four new games added: Caves of Thor, Kentris, Lure of the Temptress and Smashing Pumpkins into Small Piles of Debris (aka "SPISPOD"). Download all of 'em from the <a href="http://www.dosgames.com/g_new.php">Newest Additions</a> page. Enjoy! :)

So ... um yea. Also the link for Red Baron is fixed. I thought I took it off the site because the link wasn't working, but apparently its just been sitting there for months with a broken link! :o Anywho it works now, I uploaded the file to the dosgames.com server.

I planned to add more games, but since I decided to come home this wkend I didn't have much time, so hopefully I can add the rest of the ones I have sitting on my comp sometime soon.

Laters ...

PS. Don't forget to point out the probably numerous obvious errors that I missed ;)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Actually, there were no errors in this update... I'm somewhat disapointed now. :(
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

there's always Hackers. do you get hackers, Emmzee?
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

There haven't been any attempts to hack my site yet, at least none that I know about. *crosses fingers*

The server is all patched up with all of the latest patches. And since its running on somewhat-ancient RAQ4 hardware, its unlikely any new vulnerabilities will be found ... just because 1) People probably have found them all already ... and 2) People will probably focus more on more recent hardware/software installs ... for example, the version of PHP on this server is old ... etc.

PS. Don't try to hack my server please. :blah: :no: :shifty: :o

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Emmzee: You could always hire a few, just for publicity reasons... ;)
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

Um... I can't get any of the screenshots to work.
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Umm I dunno, they work for me ... what exactly happens for you when you click the "[ Screenshot ]" link? The page just doesn't load? Or the actualy screenshot graphic doesn't load? Or ... ?

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Close your pop-up stopper, Homz. ;) And don't worry, there are none on Dosgames.com.

Emmzee: His problem is his pop-up stopper is identifying the screenshot's as pop-ups and kills them-turning it off for a few seconds should solve it.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Ah, I see. Darn popup stoppers :) They shouldn't block windows that pop when the user clicks on a link that has TARGET="_new" or TARGET="_blank" in it ... :rolleyes:

Thrall
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Thrall »

Mine doesn't. But if he uses the pop up stopper "POW!" then it will. That blocks all and it sucks. Free Surfer MK II is the best , free , no spyware , no ads. and it works.

so um yeah.
UP WITH SONIC!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

actually, I use POW, and have had no problems at all. However, when I first got it, the list of popups to kill was blank. I'm slowly upgrading it as I come across popups.
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

I have Norton Internet Security. I don't know how to stop the pop-up killer, but I'll try. Thanks a <i>lot</i> Dogbreath.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

Chapter III
Click aici.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

I've had decent luck with Free Surfer 2: http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/fs.htm. It doesn't seem to have effect on links or etc. Newest ver is 2.1.026.

I have noted that I get many more popups on Netzero or Juno than I do with a more private one (like Allvantage). A friend with recent webmaster experience said this is common as the ISP's to contract with advertizers such that their popups don't appear as such to some popup killers. They are "carried native" as he says. Time to get out the voodoo dolls?
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

From my research, it appears that you have the wrong name for SPISPOD. What I've read seems to indicate that the actual name is Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles of <i><b>Putrid</b></i> Debris. Are these two seperate games, or one and the same?

Chapter III
Click aici.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Oops! Good eye, you are indeed correct. I've fixed the offending pages.

I should have realized that its wrong ... after all, the name was used for the walk-through walls code in Doom! :) (ie. you type "idspispopd" during the game to be able to walk through walls ... it was changed to "idclip" in Doom 2)

wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

thank god they changed it too... idspispopd was wayyy too long... and what does it stand for? id's pis popd? huh?

-Richard-
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Smashing pumpkins into piles of putrid debris.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page