Abondonware

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
bucky

Abondonware

Post by bucky »

What is it exactly? Ive always wanted to know
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

When a developer stops selling game they made but haven't made it freeware or public domain, it's abandonware.

It's illegal too, I never touch the stuff.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Yes. Abandonware is just as its name suggests. Abandonware is yesterday's warez. I'm not totally sure, but I believe that, even if a software company goes bankrupt, and doesn't officially release its software as freeware, it too becomes abandonware. I also think the copyright law states 75 years for 'abandonware' to officially become free to the public, unless otherwise stated by the company.
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

shit 75 years!?man i don't think i could live that much
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?

INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE

Post by Guest »

The guy who copywrighted happy birth day doesnt sue every time you sing it and its not illegal nor is video taping tv shows sare computer games should be too its information the computers are singing it to each other over the internet (lol) IT IS FREEDOM OF SPEECH so somone needs to get a life.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Copyright laws say that all works of literature/art must be released as public domain 50 years after creation (75 in U.S, though that'll be shortened)

The problem is, many authors abandon their games after creating them (the difference between abandonware and oldwarez) so it's impossible to obtain them legally and will be for the next 30 years, thus the term "abandonware."
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Re: INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE

Post by Dopefish »

If you ask me, copyrights should only last as long as the artist is alive.
Anonymous wrote:The guy who copywrighted happy birth day doesnt sue every time you sing it and its not illegal nor is video taping tv shows sare computer games should be too its information the computers are singing it to each other over the internet (lol) IT IS FREEDOM OF SPEECH so somone needs to get a life.
First: Happy Birthday isn't copyrighted. If it was copyrighted you can still sing it you just couldn't record it.

Secod: Genrally taping TV shows is only legal if you don't distribute copies. Once you start giving away/selling copies it's illegal (same with computer games, music, movies, etc.).

Third: I couldn't understand what you're trying to say about "sare computer games singing to each other". Can you try saying that in English? :huh: