DELETING OLD FILES

Forum for all the suggestions that have 1. nothing to do with our two websites (Dosgames.com/ DosGamesArchive) and 2. are not bug reports.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

DELETING OLD FILES

Post by Wally »

I reckon dos games should be upgraded by deleting fourms that have been complete and no body needs help with them any more
any other users agree!
To save our browsing time this could be done B) :cuccoan:

Wally4000
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

No sense deleting the threads, just closing them is the best option perhaps ;)

This way others that come here could search for the info and find it, couldn't do that if the thread was deleted :no:
Suck it down!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Um, firstly, deleting 10.60 MB of storage from a database that can hold 1,000 times that and not break a sweat is bit redundant, no? (Remember we *are* on a RaQ4 here... 40GB storage alone, IIRC (or was that the $199 model? Whatever, it doesn't really make much difference)) and secondly, each page here only takes ~0.2 seconds to load. If it's not loading quickly for you, it's your connections fault, not ours.

I *could* do it (phpBB allows you to do it automatically) but at the moment, I just really don't see the point. If we were popular/old and had about a million posts or so stored, then I might, but it seems silly at the moment. I'll see what Emmzee has to say about it...
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Only reason we did it on IB was to see if it would help the constant errors. He'll probably say to leave them.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

To me anything that gets posted to a forum should be archived at some point. This will depend on many factors of course, but the first option is to close old, non-active threads. Then after a certain amount of time passes then to archive them to recoverable media, say like CD-RW/DVD-RW/Tape or some other easily accessable media format. This way it can be returned if need be ;)
Suck it down!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Why close old threads? It won't change the speed any.

However, you are correct, the database can be backed up on the Admins HDD and then transferred to CD/floppy. We'd do that if we were restarting the boards or upgrading or something, but it seems pointless at the moment. And if I did, I'd definetly use a CD-R... CD-RWs suck so badly that I'd be too afraid of data corruption to use one.
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Really, I've had no issues with using CD-RW disks ;)

I use them at work all the time as I need to update a certain build every 2~4 weeks and to create about 12-15 of these disks via Nero's burn image option :D
Suck it down!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Weird. I find after about 5 re-writes it starts garbling data... generally because instead of clearly burnt notches of a CD-R it uses a photo-chemical reaction instead. It gets messy after a while. (Inpefect erases and such) Has the technology improved any? Last time I used one was 3 years ago...
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Dogbreath wrote:Why close old threads? It won't change the speed any.

However, you are correct, the database can be backed up on the Admins HDD and then transferred to CD/floppy. We'd do that if we were restarting the boards or upgrading or something, but it seems pointless at the moment. And if I did, I'd definetly use a CD-R... CD-RWs suck so badly that I'd be too afraid of data corruption to use one.
Mosty of the time, you cant save the database through the admin panel, its a bug in the phpBB2 files, but it can be done. Usually the best way to do it is through phpMyAdmin
jmmijo
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by jmmijo »

Dogbreath wrote:Has the technology improved any? Last time I used one was 3 years ago...
Ah, yeah :D

Also the hardware, not just the media has improved a great deal. So too has the burning software of course.
Suck it down!
Wally

yes backing up sounds good

Post by Wally »

These threads actually do clog up our time by having to click on another page.
And joke threads couldnt they be locked because i replyed to one without realising that it wasnt true :blah:

Wally4000 the :karate: kid
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Another page? What other page?
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
Wally

have another forum

Post by Wally »

Havea nother forum with all locked and completed searches in it
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Probably don't have to worry about deleting old threads or whatever, the board should be stable for a long time yet. FWIW, the RAQ's hd is 10gigs unless I decide to upgrade it ... which I of course am not likely to do heh ;)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Wally

Spose

Post by Wally »

if you could like back them up away somewhere

And then the User who made them could decide wheather they dont want it
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

*Shrugs* I still don't see any logical point whatsoever in doing so. Even the <html><a href=http://forums.civfanatics.com/index.php?>Civilization Fanatics board</a></html> with 1,009,000+ posts only archives old site events so no one confuses them with upcoming features. Care to explain your reasoning here, Wally? Because I don't really get why you want that done.

As far as joke threads: if they're pointless, we lock them. But if it has a good point... well then, they're not laughing at you, they're laughing with you! :rolleyes:
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

That's not true. We're laughing at you sometimes.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Im always laughing AT you.... I mean... with you? Dont fire me.....
Wally

Well.

Post by Wally »

I just discovered that all new posts move to the start of the fourm so that is good.
The only thing is if the thread has been completed why have it on the site???

wally4000 the :karate: kid
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

future refrence.