[Release] Harmony Compatible for DOS based on MBF 2.04

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

[Release] Harmony Compatible for DOS based on MBF 2.04

Post by MrFlibble »

This is a stand-alone DOS version of Harmony Compatible, which is the recently released PWAD edition of Harmony, a Doom engine game/TC originally from 2009:
This port is based on gerwin's MBF 2.04, but uses ludicrous_peridot's Allegro library modifications to greatly improve OPL3 music quality. The game can now play secondary MIDI instruments, but only when the tracks are in the MUS format. To further improve OPL music quality, this version auto-loads DMXOPL v1.11 at startup instead of the built-in GENMIDI lump that comes from Freedoom.

I have no real hardware to test this on, so I'd appreciate it if anyone gave it a spin on something that can do OPL music.

The other changes are mostly cosmetic, I have restored the original blue font for HUD messages and menus from the 2009 release, and added proper lumps for MBF extended menus:
I also fixed the colours on the minimized MBF HUD (Harmony uses a custom palette with a completely different order of colour ranges, so I had to "rewire" them to display the intended colours):
A selection of in-game screenshots can be found here.