A Collection of Unnamed Game Descriptions

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Akillibirisi

Post by Akillibirisi »

Hey there, as a child I played a lot of games back in the time. I wish I had more memory of them but a child's brain could only do so much, I was just learning to read and write while playing some of those. Literacy didn't solve the problem as it was not English. Playing these games without understanding them just adds onto trouble. Here I took my time trying to remember some of them to the best of my ability. Some of these descriptions may match partially with a game because of a wrong element in my description. These descriptions are not perfect as I might have been confused and mixed up a gameplay feature with another game. So please post *that* name if my description rings any bell. I believe most of these games to be from 1990-2009 range.
  • In this 3D game (most likely FPS or 3rd person view), I can only recall 3 persons gathered around a fire pit. (a fire barrel, most likely) They were standing right next to a wall of a building and was armed with guns. And there was a gas station kind of place some distance away, with a closed gate. This was probably the beginning scene of the game, that's all I can remember.
  • This was a 2D, side scrolling platformer game with some puzzle solving involved. Please feel free to list any game you believe akin to Bio Menace (1993) or Dangerous Dave In The Haunted Mansion (1991) as the game I'm looking for is not much different from them.
  • FOUND! "Beyond Good & Evil (2003)" A 3d FPS or 3rd Person view game, I remember a light tower and a blue barrier in the sky, we were either trying to shut the barrier down or keep it on, there was a currency called "Pearls" in this game with which you could buy things. In one of the levels, I remember driving a Jet-ski kind of vehicle to a bay.
  • This is a game similar to Safrosoft Rox, Pacman or Supaplex. Again, not much detail. Though I remember the game saying "Alright!" when you pick a powerup.
  • a 2D platformer, in the first section, you view the map from above, move your character around and enter certain areas in the map, when you enter an area, game loads the level for that area, after that the game changes to side view (side scrolling), to a mario kind of gameplay. When you finish that level, you return to top-down map view and have it's entrance area cleared, which would allow you to proceed into other areas that were previously blocked off by this area entrance that you just cleared.
  • This was a 3D pokemon game in 3rd person or FPS. I was in a town with several houses that you can navigate around, and a forest area some certain distance away. I never managed to properly play this game. When you try to go to the forest, game prompted me to buy the full version or something.
  • Another pokemon game, though this time 2D, viewed from above. You could change locations by moving your character to the borders of the screen, or doors. You find enemies in the map and fight them. Fight was turn based, each turn you get a selection of actions to do that you click on. In once occasion, I somehow found a pitch black room with skeleton enemies in it.
  • A 2D space shooter, but more sophisticated looking. There's an ever changing vortex-like background. When defeating boss-class enemies, they drop 3 power-ups. One gives you a lightning attack in a conic area, another one gives orange homing missiles that seek enemies, unfortunately I can't recall what the last one was.
  • A point and click game, collect right items and deliver them to the right places, a puzzle and mystery game like a classic escape the room game, though a downloaded one with story taking place in a forested area. There are snowy regions too, also certain persons around to interact with.
  • A 3D game where you control a spinning top, on square tiles floating above a giant lava ocean (lava sometimes turn into water I guess, depending on current level design, though you'd die if you fall off all the same), goal is to carefully navigate the spinning top through the obstacles into the exit.
  • A point and click game resembling a cardboard game, you send your ship to various places on the map, like planets or other structures in the space. Sometimes black holes appear around the ship while travelling, at which point game gives you a option to return. If black hole is too close to the ship's trajectory it would fall into the hole.
  • A 3D FPS, probably more recent than others, you start in front of a small factory or warehouse looking structure in night time on a blocked road, only way being into the structure. Inside are what you'd expect to see in a factory or warehouse, heavy load lifts, cranes and so on. And there was nothing else, you take a tour and admire things and that was either it, or I missed something else. The game might had been unfinished at the time, I'm not much hopeful for this one.
  • I have this game, though the only designation for this is "The VIRUS" for which google shows no result. A top-down 2D shooter, you control a man wearing a mask that resembles that of Bane from The Dark Knight Rises movie. There are 10 weapons and several grenade types also, with the last weapon being a "Virus" that spawns some sort of spider looking creature with a circle around it that attacks anything on sight. You raid a place to get this virus, the second level is on a shore with a ship nearby, and third level is insine that ship, where you fight with a gigantic robot thing. Final clue, when you die, you explode and burst in blood, with only your legs left standing.
  • 3D FPS horror game, begins in night time near a small house with a small trapdoor on the ground with nothing else on sight. You descent down and shoot devil looking creatures, while using a blunderbuss, a rifle with a trumpet barrel.
  • Now this is a tough one. 3D FPS, all I remember is a medieval timeline taking place in semi-dark castle interiors, killing opponents, and probably night time again. I recall there was a arrow picture in the inventory with a round tip, almost like a bomb arrow, I had never got an arrow so never found out what it was.
  • Another tough one, top-down 2D strategy game. There were slime looking units that you command, I believe slimes were green and orange in color, and they were fighting, somehow.
  • A platformer type, though in 3D in 3rd person perspective. You were playing as an animal and there were another predator types chasing you on sight. Goal was to collect something on the map without getting caught and find the exit.
  • A 3D FPS, we're a roughly hamster sized miniature creature in a child's room, moving around on furnitures, books, bed and so on, killing weird monsters with various attacks. The laser shooting, ball and disc throwing is the three I could remember.
  • You throw penguins with a "slingshot ? or some sort of launcher thing" into air ballons slowly moving in the background. Sometimes spike balls and trapped balloons would appear. So, yeah not so family friendly type with that blood and gore. Game is a point and click.
  • A 2D side scroller (up-down-left-right), you control a small spaceship in the middle of the screen and start the level above the entrance of an underground facility and descent into it. There are numerous hazards, moving and slamming down cylinder obstacles, firing turrets and so on, we could also shoot some enemies as well. Goal is to find some sort of metallic ball, which, when you get close to it, attaches to your ship via a rope, then you get out the same way you got in, paying attention not to hit your ship or the ball into walls. You complete the level when you exit the facility with the ball and fly some distance into the sky.
Thank you! :D
Last edited by Akillibirisi on Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Q: "A 3d FPS or 3rd Person view game, I remember a light tower and a blue barrier in the sky, we were either trying to shut the barrier down or keep it on, there was a currency called "Pearls" in this game with which you could buy things. In one of the levels, I remember driving a Jet-ski kind of vehicle to a bay."

A: This would be 'Beyond Good & Evil' I think.

Q: "Now this is a tough one. 3D FPS, all I remember is a medieval timeline taking place in semi-dark castle interiors, killing opponents, and probably night time again. I recall there was a arrow picture in the inventory with a round tip, almost like a bomb arrow, I had never got an arrow so never found out what it was."

A: It could be one of the 'Thief'-series games, more stealth than FPS though.
Akillibirisi

Post by Akillibirisi »

Rwolf wrote: A: This would be 'Beyond Good & Evil' I think.
Thank you very much! This is unmistakably the right one.
Rwolf wrote: A: It could be one of the 'Thief'-series games, more stealth than FPS though.
Precisely, this one is among those I remember the least unfortunately. Now that I've come to think of it, stealth genre sounds well fit for this game. For some reason reminds me of Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2001) alas minus technology. There's just one memory of this game, so not much clue.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

It is against our rules to have more than one game in a request, but since you have so many at once I'll make an exception and let you pass, just this one time. (You will quickly notice why we have this rule though.)
Akillibirisi wrote: This was a 2D, side scrolling platformer game with some puzzle solving involved. Please feel free to list any game you believe akin to Bio Menace (1993) or Dangerous Dave In The Haunted Mansion (1991) as the game I'm looking for is not much different from them.
Have you tried looking at MobyGames listings?
https://www.mobygames.com/game/from:198 ... te/page:1/
Akillibirisi wrote: This is a game similar to Safrosoft Rox, Pacman or Supaplex. Again, not much detail. Though I remember the game saying "Alright!" when you pick a powerup.
Have fun browsing through this list.
Akillibirisi wrote: a 2D platformer, in the first section, you view the map from above, move your character around and enter certain areas in the map, when you enter an area, game loads the level for that area, after that the game changes to side view (side scrolling), to a mario kind of gameplay. When you finish that level, you return to top-down map view and have it's entrance area cleared, which would allow you to proceed into other areas that were previously blocked off by this area entrance that you just cleared.
Commander Keen, Xargon, Vinyl Goddess from Mars?
Akillibirisi wrote: A 2D space shooter, but more sophisticated looking. There's an ever changing vortex-like background. When defeating boss-class enemies, they drop 3 power-ups. One gives you a lightning attack in a conic area, another one gives orange homing missiles that seek enemies, unfortunately I can't recall what the last one was.
Look in this list:
https://www.mobygames.com/group/9586/ge ... sort:date/
Akillibirisi wrote: A 3D FPS, probably more recent than others, you start in front of a small factory or warehouse looking structure in night time on a blocked road, only way being into the structure. Inside are what you'd expect to see in a factory or warehouse, heavy load lifts, cranes and so on. And there was nothing else, you take a tour and admire things and that was either it, or I missed something else. The game might had been unfinished at the time, I'm not much hopeful for this one.
Unless this is how you remember CHASM The Rift, this might have been a demo of one of several FPS Creator type game makers, or perhaps indeed a tech demo of some game by a likely small developer.
Akillibirisi wrote: 3D FPS horror game, begins in night time near a small house with a small trapdoor on the ground with nothing else on sight. You descent down and shoot devil looking creatures, while using a blunderbuss, a rifle with a trumpet barrel.
Another list for you:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/from:199 ... te/page:1/
Akillibirisi wrote: Another tough one, top-down 2D strategy game. There were slime looking units that you command, I believe slimes were green and orange in color, and they were fighting, somehow.
Not Globulation 2? or maybe Liquid War?
Akillibirisi wrote: A 2D side scroller (up-down-left-right), you control a small spaceship in the middle of the screen and start the level above the entrance of an underground facility and descent into it. There are numerous hazards, moving and slamming down cylinder obstacles, firing turrets and so on, we could also shoot some enemies as well. Goal is to find some sort of metallic ball, which, when you get close to it, attaches to your ship via a rope, then you get out the same way you got in, paying attention not to hit your ship or the ball into walls. You complete the level when you exit the facility with the ball and fly some distance into the sky.
Probably not TerraFire (I don't remember the ball thing), but I still thought I'd mention it anyway.
Akillibirisi

Post by Akillibirisi »

MrFlibble wrote: It is against our rules to have more than one game in a request, but since you have so many at once I'll make an exception and let you pass, just this one time. (You will quickly notice why we have this rule though.)
I'm much obliged! And sorry for the inconvenience, I must have missed that point in the read before posting thread.
MrFlibble wrote: Probably not TerraFire (I don't remember the ball thing), but I still thought I'd mention it anyway.
This is it! I recognized it the moment I saw the main menu screen. There's a small ball with radioactivity symbol on it that you take out of the facility, which is what the whole mission is about, though "metallic ball" turned out to be a bad depiction. They're called "Nuclear Pods" apparently. Thank you! One more down from the list.
MrFlibble wrote: Commander Keen, Xargon, Vinyl Goddess from Mars?
Unfortunately neither of those. The top-down section of the game is basically a level selection phase. The actual gameplay is indeed similar to Commander Keen.
MrFlibble wrote: Unless this is how you remember CHASM The Rift, this might have been a demo of one of several FPS Creator type game makers, or perhaps indeed a tech demo of some game by a likely small developer.
Yes, the worst part about old and unpopular games is they're extemely difficult to pin down with a lot less information available on the internet. I believe this is one of them. I looked up CHASM The Rift and I'm afraid that's not it. This game is a lot simpler, there were no weapons, no equippables, no enemies/friends, literally nothing. Just casual walking simulator with no other mobs or NPCs on sight, a plain map.
MrFlibble wrote: Not Globulation 2? or maybe Liquid War?
The gameplay of Globulation 2 looks very close to the game I'm looking for, though I feel it was slightly more graphically advanced than that. Liquid war looks irrelevant

I really appreciate your time here. Thank you, I'll skim through the links you provided, and will update the topic accordingly.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Akillibirisi wrote:
  • This is a game similar to Safrosoft Rox, Pacman or Supaplex. Again, not much detail. Though I remember the game saying "Alright!" when you pick a powerup.
MR Packford?
wrote:
  • a 2D platformer, in the first section, you view the map from above, move your character around and enter certain areas in the map, when you enter an area, game loads the level for that area, after that the game changes to side view (side scrolling), to a mario kind of gameplay. When you finish that level, you return to top-down map view and have it's entrance area cleared, which would allow you to proceed into other areas that were previously blocked off by this area entrance that you just cleared.
Onesimus Story or Jill Saves the Prince?
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Akillibirisi

Post by Akillibirisi »

486 player wrote:
  • MR Packford?
I think the game was a little bit more recent than that. I really should add more details about this one, though I can't remember anything else.
486 player wrote: Onesimus Story or Jill Saves the Prince?
Now I just realized that "level selection phase" feature does match with these games, however you enter these sub-levels in a normal side scrolling theme, not in a top-down view.