1990's era turn based fantasy game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
DemonWolf

1990's era turn based fantasy game

Post by DemonWolf »

I do apologise about the incredibly vague Subject tagline but I am really struggling to remember anything about this game.

From what I can remember, it was a turn based single player computer (Windows if I am remembering correctly) game. It had heavy fantasy overtones and seemed to have medieval set dressing. The actual game play I don't remember well but I can recall playing as humans fighting against demon lords. I think you could have multiple heroes and each hero had it's own movement speed to determine how fast it got across the map.

One thing that still sticks in my mind is a particular animation. My main hero was a paladin on horseback. Now this horse, at least I think, had no ability to fly but the movement animation always made that horse appear as if it were floating.

Unfortunately, beyond these details my memory fails me and I could really use some help.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

First two series that to mind come:
Heroes of Might and Magic
Age of Wonders

Are these games at all similar to your memory, or could you describe the differences you recall?
DemonWolf

Post by DemonWolf »

Quadko wrote:First two series that to mind come:
Heroes of Might and Magic
Age of Wonders

Are these games at all similar to your memory, or could you describe the differences you recall?

Google thought Heroes of Might and Magic too lol but none of the screenshots from any in that series look familiar and now that you've suggested it, Age of Wonders doesn't look right either.

As for the differences, the game I'm trying to recall didn't really have large armies. I can't remember the actual game play well but I think it mainly centered around individual "heroes" that you could move around the different maps and that defeating the demon lords was a large portion of the storyline.

Edit: Quick update, I think you could also put equipment on your heroes to raise stats.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

DemonWolf wrote:none of the screenshots from any in that series look familiar and now that you've suggested it, Age of Wonders doesn't look right either.
Could you please elaborate, in what way is your game not the same as these (e.g. different perspective, darker/brighter palette, different art style etc.)? That could help identify it.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

And any more modern games you know of that are sort of like it?

Other random guesses: Majesty 1 or 2? Archon?