DOS version of Metal Gear

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
romeroman

DOS version of Metal Gear

Post by romeroman »

This may be a problem with the downloadable version of Metal Gear for DOS that's widely available online. When you play the game, you'll easily notice that it's plagued with problems and I'm not talking about any of the gameplay quirks.

Probably the most important issues are the flat out game-breaking flaws. A little past half-way into the game, some essential items are missing so the player can't progress any further. But even if they did appear, there are a couple of other problems. For example, one of the bosses is very glitchy. Sometimes, they disappear after a few seconds. Other times, they're simply absent.

Does anybody know if these problems are present when playing on actual hardware? It's kind of surprising how this version and the C64 version of Metal Gear remain unsolved when it comes to whether they're actually broken or not. So far, reports are only about disk images/game rips. The problems with these versions have gone unsolved for quite the time, despite quite a lot of people acknowledging/discussing them. Each time someone gets close to testing the original game, there ends up being no follow-up.

I more or less want to assume these weren't sold with these breaking flaws, especially with the c64 version as there have been a few reports of completing the game.
romeroman

Post by romeroman »

Necrobump, but for good reason.

I got confirmation that the C64 version of this game was fatally flawed on release. It brings more likelihood that the same applies to the DOS version. It is, however, worth noting that Metal Gear for DOS was also released in Europe (at least Germany). So perhaps the European release may have these problems fixed (similar to how TMNT DOS' European counterpart, TMHT, had the impossible gap fixed).
Codete

Post by Codete »

Any news on the subject?
romeroman

Post by romeroman »

Unfortunately not