Having trouble installing Corridor 7 CD version

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
SqueakyWheel

Having trouble installing Corridor 7 CD version

Post by SqueakyWheel »

Hi!

I'm having a bit of a problem getting Corridor 7 (CD version) to install. I've downloaded the game from a related website. I'm not very proficient in PC jargon, so please bear with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The game requires a Virtual Drive to run properly (it's an image file). I've downloaded Daemon Tools and MagicISO and managed to mount the game onto a virtual drive, which has popped up as drive H. My stock computer has only 2 stock drives - C and D.

After mounting the game to the virtual drive I tried to open the files within using DOSBOX to install the game. I successfully opened the install file by mounting drive H. This is where I'm stumped, however.

The installation drives can only be C or D and not H. If I try to install to C I get a message that reads "Switching to drive C: failed". The same goes for drive D.

How do I get around this problem? Any tips or advice?
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

There are some wiki pages and guides available:
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT
http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Emu ... Mount.html

---

The C and D drives that DOSbox will use are virtual drives and not your actual drives. You create these drives by using a 'mount' command with an image or a directory in a DOSbox dos window, or set them up in the GUI front ends for DOSbox (like D-fend Reloaded).

If you are using DOSbox directly it's a command like "mount c c:\some_existing_directory" which then will be used as C:\ inside DOSbox.
(With a CD rom drive you use an extra parameter to define the drive letter/image as a CD)

---

In D-fend Reloaded, there is a 'drives' setup section on each game entry you make to setup and the C:\ is by default a pre-configured directory called 'VirtualHD'

The CD rom setup for images is setup by selecting a drive letter D and the game image file you need, and define the drive as being a CD rom.
SqueakyWheel

Post by SqueakyWheel »

Thanks for your quick reply and help. I've dug a little deeper since then and managed to install the game, but I've run into yet another roadblock. This is what I did:

1. In DOSBOX I mounted a folder in my drive C (mine being "c:\gog games") and successfully installed the game there.

2. I mounted my virtual drive H as drive D (the command being: mount d h:\corr7cd -t cdrom).

3. I then tried to run the game from my C drive... but I got this message:
CORRIDOR 7 CD not found in drive or MSCDEX not installed.
I got closer, but am stumped yet again. What am I doing wrong?[/quote]
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Look at the trouble shooting section here: there are a couple of CD related entries.
http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#CantFindCD

I don't know how the GoG distributions are organised, (I thought they had a builtin DOSbox setup) but you may have to add extra parameters such as a 'label' - sometimes programs look for these things, use 'imgmount' instead of mount, (i.e. don't bother using daemon tools to make the image H:)

I've never played the Corridor7 game myself, so I don't know the exact details of its setup.

edit: I found a bin/cue version to try out, and using imgmount works fine.
(I first installed the game from a virtual drive using daemon tools, under dosbox - the path to the download was too long to write, so I got lazy.) Once installed, I use the imgmount within dosbox to play the game.

A snippet from my D-Fend start file:
mount C "C:\DOCUME~1\rwolf\D-Fend Reloaded\VirtualHD\"
imgmount D "C:\DOCUME~1\rwolf\MYDOCU~1\Downloads\c7\Corridor.7-Alien.Invasion-TransferCrew.cue" -t cdrom

There is a setup file to change the sound/music config, and keys - this game was made before the WASD standard.
Last edited by Rwolf on Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

SqueakyWheel wrote:I mounted my virtual drive H as drive D (the command being: mount d h:\corr7cd -t cdrom).
I assume your H:\ has a mounted image of the exact Corridor 7 CD, so it sounds like you need to do: mount d h:\ -t cdrom (without the extra path).

Or use imgmount on the ISO itself, as suggested.
SqueakyWheel

Post by SqueakyWheel »

Thanks so much for the help guys. I honestly didn't expect people to help me out when I posted this topic, let alone so quick and in such detail. This really raises my hopes for humanity (said by a guy trying to basically pirate old software).

I got the game working! I couldn't get the image mounted as I don't have enough experience with DOSBOX yet, but I've done what dr-st said and it worked like a charm.

Only problem was that the game was choppy and laggy as hell. I had to raise the CPU speed fourfold (almost 12,000 cycles) to get it running properly. Is this normal? I just haven't had to fuss so much over getting a game to work since I discovered the basic DOSBOX commands. Talk about a mental workout!
SqueakyWheel

Post by SqueakyWheel »

Rwolf wrote:
I don't know how the GoG distributions are organised, (I thought they had a builtin DOSbox setup) but you may have to add extra parameters such as a 'label' - sometimes programs look for these things, use 'imgmount' instead of mount, (i.e. don't bother using daemon tools to make the image H:)
Actually, this game isn't available on GOG.com. I just put all my old games into that directory. Wanted to get used to using quotes in DOSBOX.
Rwolf wrote:
There is a setup file to change the sound/music config, and keys - this game was made before the WASD standard.
Yeah, it's basically a Wolf 3d clone. Wanted to try it out cause it scared the $#!+ out of me when I was a little kid. Memories are strong things....
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Good you got it to work. Tuning the game to your PC is often needed with old games, they were often made to match a specific computer speed, and sometimes DOSbox runs too fast or too slow for specific tasks.

(A possible drawback of emulators like DOSbox is that your old memories can get a bit tarnished when you see those old gems pale in comparision with current titles.
But if you can see past the gnarly surface, they are often still enjoyable.)