re: looking for a MSDOS game util

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
reble

Post by reble »

Does anyone know were I can download the game util called "Game Enhancement Utility"?

Steve
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Haven't found anything by that name. What game do you want to work with? What did the utility do?
We might be able to come up with an alternate.
reble

Post by reble »

This is for Dukem Nukem II. I can't find the page for the "Trainer Module for Duke Nukem II v1.0" were I downloaded it. It says in the doc that the trainer was built using GEU. I am wondering if the Shareware version can be adapted for the registered version. If so I would like to learn how to do it. Just for the S- - - and giggles of it and something to do.

------------------
Trainer Module for Duke Nukem II* v1.0 (Shareware Version)
Programmed using GEU (Game Enhancement Utility)
------------------
Quadko wrote:Haven't found anything by that name. What game do you want to work with? What did the utility do?
We might be able to come up with an alternate.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

It's on cd.textfiles.com; on megagames 2 CD (and in other locations)

look for a file named 'd210trn.zip' in catalog
http://cd.textfiles.com/megagames2/MISC/HELP/
reble

Post by reble »

I have the trainer for the shareware version already. I am looking for the util prog that was used to build the d210trn.exe. I want to see if I can adapt it to work on the registered version. There can't be much of a diffrence between the shareware version and the registered version other then the fact that the shareware version only has episode 1.
Rwolf wrote:It's on cd.textfiles.com; on megagames 2 CD (and in other locations)

look for a file named 'd210trn.zip' in catalog
http://cd.textfiles.com/megagames2/MISC/HELP/
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

It's always possible the actual GEU was never released, and this was the only tool made with it. Or it's just lost to the web.

When I want to play like that, I just use ArtMoney anymore - windows games, dos games in dosbox, whatever. Usually I can come up with what I need just by searching, but there are config/definition files for various games. I found at least one for Duke Nukem II, no idea how good it may be. Perhaps, to misquote Prince Humperdinck, it could be considered as an alternative to suicide? ;)
reble

Post by reble »

What are you typing into the search engine and what search engine are you using? When I do a search I draw a big fat blank. What is the name of that config/definition file that you found for Duke Nukem II. The worst that can happen is I screw up the game. If that happens I just del it and reinstall the game from the backup cd. I have a fairly large library of backup cd's. Every game and prog that's on the laptop is backed up on a cd or dvd. I learned from the school of hard knocks. To keep an unaltered backup.
Quadko wrote:It's always possible the actual GEU was never released, and this was the only tool made with it. Or it's just lost to the web.

When I want to play like that, I just use ArtMoney anymore - windows games, dos games in dosbox, whatever. Usually I can come up with what I need just by searching, but there are config/definition files for various games. I found at least one for Duke Nukem II, no idea how good it may be. Perhaps, to misquote Prince Humperdinck, it could be considered as an alternative to suicide? ;)
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

artmoney duke nukem II

It's the artmoney.ru home site, but some deeper page(s) with lists of games and definition file downloads. Click the name of the game... It was right at/near the top of my google search on the first page.

ArtMoney is just in-memory, I think, but maybe lots to explore that I don't know about.
reble

Post by reble »

Artmoney I have already. I use Artmoney on the SimCity 3k and 4k to put max amount of money into the city bank account. I didn't know that it would work on an MS DOS game. What strings would I search for. Programing is not my strong fort. I am a fixer. Like when I have a place to work I will buy a pallet full of laptops from the Hanford gov surplus auction. I fix them up and sell them to people that can't afford to buy new ones.
Quadko wrote:artmoney duke nukem II

It's the artmoney.ru home site, but some deeper page(s) with lists of games and definition file downloads. Click the name of the game... It was right at/near the top of my google search on the first page.

ArtMoney is just in-memory, I think, but maybe lots to explore that I don't know about.
reble

Post by reble »

A PS I did take some programing classes back in the day of the green screen Commodore Pet computers. I can also follow detailed technical directions.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

A fixer: Very cool!

I've used ArtMoney if the game is running inside DosBox - ArtMoney doesn't know the difference, and looking for health or ammo numbers works for me the few times I've tried it.

What are you trying to affect in Duke Nukem? Did you find the Duke Nukem II artmoney file on that .ru website, and did it have any readme or anything?

(I'm not sure this hacking has much to do with "programming". :D)
The other think you could try, is get the shareware version of Duke Nukem II, copy it, use the shareware trainer on it to modify whatever it changes. Then find a free binary diff tool to see what changes it made.
If you can find the same "before" data in the registered version of the game, maybe making the "after" changes will work there, too, using a hex editor like the free HxD.

But I can't take you step by step through that, you'd have to figure it out, and small bug-fix type changes in the released version might mean the shareware changes won't work anymore.
reble

Post by reble »

I found the Duke Nukem II artmoney file on that .ru website. A long time ago (2010) I still had my original MS DOS games from back in the days of MS DOS. I started playing them again when I found out about DosBox. I had the registered version of Duke Nukem II with the 4 episodes with the god and jump cheats enabled. We were forced to move because the landlord wasn't making repairs and the house was deemed unsafe to live in. I lost my tower, original cheat notebook and some of my backup cd's. One of the cd's that got cracked was the MS DOS games. I haven't been able to find an other copy of Duke Nukem II with the cheats in it. It was a setup like Wolf3D were you put a word like *.exe /duke or something like that to enable the cheats in the registered version. I was woundering if the shareware trainer can be adapted to work on the registered verision. There can't be that much diffrence between the 2 other then the shareware only has episode 1.
Quadko wrote:A fixer: Very cool!

I've used ArtMoney if the game is running inside DosBox - ArtMoney doesn't know the difference, and looking for health or ammo numbers works for me the few times I've tried it.

What are you trying to affect in Duke Nukem? Did you find the Duke Nukem II artmoney file on that .ru website, and did it have any readme or anything?

(I'm not sure this hacking has much to do with "programming". :D)
The other think you could try, is get the shareware version of Duke Nukem II, copy it, use the shareware trainer on it to modify whatever it changes. Then find a free binary diff tool to see what changes it made.
If you can find the same "before" data in the registered version of the game, maybe making the "after" changes will work there, too, using a hex editor like the free HxD.

But I can't take you step by step through that, you'd have to figure it out, and small bug-fix type changes in the released version might mean the shareware changes won't work anymore.
reble

Post by reble »

All there was in that Duke Nukem II file from the Artmoney web page was a a file named "duke nukem II (1993).amt".
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I have no clue what the artmoney file does! I assume it loads into ArtMoney when attached to the game and finds/sets things like health values. Could also enable things like jump cheat.

All I'm finding searching online, probably same as you, are the health & item cheat codes:
random Google find wrote: =================
SECRET CHEAT KEYS
=================

There are two secret cheat key combinations in Duke Nukem II. Both of them may
be used as many times as you wish.

[E] [A] [T] - Gives you full health, but it also resets your score to zero.
[N] [K] - Gives you a random weapon, and also gives you all the inventory
that you need to finish the particular level you are on.

Please note that these only work in the commercial version of Duke Nukem II.
These codes do nothing in the shareware version of the game.
reble

Post by reble »

I know whats on the internet, "EAT" and "NUK". I also know what I had. Out of the 7.4 billion people on this rock, you would think someone ether has what I am looking for or knows how to make it so. To borrow a phrase from Captain PiCard.
Well in the mean time. I have gotten around not having the god and jump cheats by adding lots more 6 packs of soda cans (one 6 pack soda can brings health to full), more ammo box's and a few other modifications here and there in each level. I may never get ahold of the god and jump cheats for the registered version again but there is more then 1 way to skin a cat.
Quadko wrote:I have no clue what the artmoney file does! I assume it loads into ArtMoney when attached to the game and finds/sets things like health values. Could also enable things like jump cheat.

All I'm finding searching online, probably same as you, are the health & item cheat codes:
random Google find wrote: =================
SECRET CHEAT KEYS
=================

There are two secret cheat key combinations in Duke Nukem II. Both of them may
be used as many times as you wish.

[E] [A] [T] - Gives you full health, but it also resets your score to zero.
[N] [K] - Gives you a random weapon, and also gives you all the inventory
that you need to finish the particular level you are on.

Please note that these only work in the commercial version of Duke Nukem II.
These codes do nothing in the shareware version of the game.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Nice! "If only" all 7 billion were dos game lovers watching our forum. :P
reble

Post by reble »

Yea that would be nice. Maby in a few days to a week. I will try Artmoney on Duke Nuken II and I will let you know what I find out. Right now I am playing around with a Emerson EM744 tablet that I got free. I had to go in and fix the battery plug, were the battery plugs into the tablet's pc board. There was a cold solder joint which was making for an intermittent contact on the positive lead. Once in a blue moon I sometimes get lucky and end up in the right place at the right time. The 1 thing I have WAY to much of is time to kill. If I could turn even a 3rd of that time into cold hard cash. I would be independently wealthy. Well cul.
Quadko wrote:Nice! "If only" all 7 billion were dos game lovers watching our forum. :P