I may have asked this question here before about DN II

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
reble

I may have asked this question here before about DN II

Post by reble »

A long time ago, around 2010 I still had my MSDOS games and my orignal games cheat notebook. It is a long story. But I lost my tower computer and the cheat book. Anyways I don't remember if the copy of Duke Nukem II that I had was modified or if there was a different set of cheat codes out there for Duke Nukem II during the MSDOS days. The registered copy of Duke Nukem II that I had. Had the god and jump cheat modes set so they could be turned on by holding down lets say "D + N + M" at the same time, or something like that. Then like lets say "tab + g" for god mode and "tab + j" for jump. The exact commands I don't remember. If the game was modified. I would like to learn how it was done so I can change the copy that I have now. Or if it was a different copy of the cheats way back when. Does anyone have a copy?

Steve
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I don't have the game, but someone entered a few hints at mobygames:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/duke-nukem-ii/hints
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

IIRC Apogee Software had a period when they disabled cheat codes in all their games. Maybe your current version of Duke Nukem II comes from that time? Also if you're talking about the shareware version, the cheat codes may have been always disabled in that one (I'm not sure though).
reble

Post by reble »

The copy that I had back then was a registered version with all 4 episodes. The copy that I have now is also the registered version but with the cheat codes disabled.
Have worked around not having the god and jump cheats. with a game editor called abiathar.exe I have added a lot more 6 pack coke can's which brings the health back up full and a lot more ammo packs. On some levels I added extra steps so I don't have to go to the other end of the of the level to step up to higher walkway in the level and so on.
It isn't as good as having the god and jump cheats. I still have to watch the health and ammo meters. By adding the extra 6 pack soda cans and the extra ammo cans makes the game easier to play.

Steve
reble

re: I may have asked this question here before about DN II

Post by reble »

Thanks for the try. But the info in that link I already know.
Rwolf wrote:I don't have the game, but someone entered a few hints at mobygames:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/duke-nukem-ii/hints
reble

Post by reble »

I made a goof . The level editor that I used wasn't abiathar.exe. Thats for a different MSDOS game. The editor that I used is Duke2Edit.exe. I have the complete copy if anyone needs a copy. I will upload here.

Steve
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Well I don't see it mentioned in the Wikia for Duke; maybe ask someone there?

http://dukenukem.wikia.com/wiki/Cheat_codes
reble

Post by reble »

I don't see Duke Nukem II editor there ether.
Rwolf wrote:Well I don't see it mentioned in the Wikia for Duke; maybe ask someone there?

http://dukenukem.wikia.com/wiki/Cheat_codes
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

reble wrote:The copy that I had back then was a registered version with all 4 episodes. The copy that I have now is also the registered version but with the cheat codes disabled.
It might be possible to restore the cheat codes right in the game executable. At least, with Wolfenstein 3-D Apogee just replaced the GOOBERS string in the executable with spaces. It might be the same with Duke Nukem II but I'm not sure - this was an in-house game and they could have just modified the source.

I wonder if the version sold with the Apogee Anthology has cheats or notes.
reble

Post by reble »

I don't know and I would need someone to give me step by step directions as to how to do it. I know enough about programing code that I can follow technical step by step directions.
MrFlibble wrote:
reble wrote:The copy that I had back then was a registered version with all 4 episodes. The copy that I have now is also the registered version but with the cheat codes disabled.
It might be possible to restore the cheat codes right in the game executable. At least, with Wolfenstein 3-D Apogee just replaced the GOOBERS string in the executable with spaces. It might be the same with Duke Nukem II but I'm not sure - this was an in-house game and they could have just modified the source.

reble

Post by reble »

MrFibble I have a vague memory now of seeing something like what your are talking about with Wolfenstein 3D and the GOBBERS at the end after the .exe . But I have no clue as to what it is. What I remember of the original Apogee games cheat list for Duke Nukem II that I had doesn't look like what is bellow. I remember something that has to be typed in after the .exe then holding down something like tab or F10 + G for god mode and the letter J for jump. I wish I hadn't lost the loose leaf notebook that had all those notes in it. I lost a lot of stuff when that rat of a landlord used a cheesey backdoor real estate loophole to get us kicked out.

---------------
Duke Nukem II Cheats

Message in Shareware Version
In the shareware version of Duke Nukem 2, press G+O+D together for a message about ordering the full version.Full Health

For full health, press e + a + t.
Note: Your score will drop to zero if you do this.

Press n + u + k for a random weapon plus everything you need to complete the current level. If that doesn't work, press d + u + k + m.
-----------------------
Duke Nukem II registered verison Cheats

There are two secret cheat key combinations in Duke Nukem II. Both of them may
be used as many times as you wish.

[E] [A] [T] - Gives you full health, but it also resets your score to zero.
[N] [K] - Gives you a random weapon, and also gives you all the inventory
that you need to finish the particular level you are on.

Please note that these only work in the commercial version of Duke Nukem II.
These codes do nothing in the shareware version of the game.
-------------------------

MrFlibble wrote:

Frenkel
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Frenkel »

I've looked at Nukem2.exe of the shareware version and the registered version and it doesn't accept any command line arguments. There isn't even a command line argument to disable joystick detection or AdLib / Sound Blaster detection, unlike other Apogee games.
Groeten van Frenkel
Visit us at the Official S&F Prod. Homepage
reble

Post by reble »

Well I guess it is going to be one of those things that is lost in cyber space for ever. Thanks for trying.
Frenkel wrote:I've looked at Nukem2.exe of the shareware version and the registered version and it doesn't accept any command line arguments. There isn't even a command line argument to disable joystick detection or AdLib / Sound Blaster detection, unlike other Apogee games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Duke's too good to be bypassing joystick detection. And cheating.
reble

Post by reble »

To Mrfibble. You are right Duke Nukem II is a very good game. But if the cheats are lost in cyber space for ever. There is no use to keep trying. I have tried everything that I know to find it again. Who ever bought my rented storage unit, because I fell behind on the rent has by now wiped the partition on the HDD in the tower I had in the storage unit. I guess it lost for ever unless you have some brite ideas that I have overlooked.
MrFlibble wrote:Duke's too good to be bypassing joystick detection. And cheating.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Actually my previous post was a joking reference to Duke Nukem 3D where cheat codes are disabled on the hardest difficulty level. If you enter a cheat code while playing on hardest difficulty, you'll get a message saying "You're too good to be cheating!".
Frenkel
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Frenkel »

Maybe you somehow got a beta of Duke Nukum II with those cheats.
Groeten van Frenkel
Visit us at the Official S&F Prod. Homepage