Microsoft Manic Marbles PC Demo/Trial 1996

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe
patryckpo wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:Someone uploaded it on a forum but it looks like a mod removed the download link. Maybe if you sign up on that forum and PM the guy, he might still have it. Looks like it was a few years ago. Worth a shot though.
I tried, but there's no way to PM. :(
Only if we could try to post... :shame:
Hey patryckpo,

Well when I say "Hey", I am saying "How are you doing?" Anyways, my version of Microsoft Manic Marbles is not going quite so good obviously. It started out a good concept however it degraded into a sloppy job. Everything just crumbled. O-well, I guess I have to try more to listen to my mom and dad.

Anyways, I like to make some friends. Even if we never meet, maybe we end up good old friends online for the rest of our lives. Hopefully it lasts longer than my one night stand :laugh:
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
fcc-92

Post by fcc-92 »

Hey everybody! :D
I've very exciting news!!! :thumbsup:
I have just bought an used microsoft gamepad that came with the original cd and I was right! The Manic Marbles Demo was in the Silver CD not in the purple one!

So, anyway, here I uploaded the exact copy as it is in the cd:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5b8lx ... arbles.zip

And after a lot of experiment with the archives inside of it, I kind of made a portable version and it worked on Windows 7 64bits! Unbealivable :wow: haha! But there's only one problem and is that everythings works fine, but when the match starts it looks like distortionated or something, try it yourself and you will see:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ma276 ... es_new.zip

Now I hope that people who actually know about programming can finish the game or make some changes like chossing all the characters, or add some levels, or retexture everyting for making an HD version! ^_^

But well, for now let's say that we can celebrate this :no1:, but please don't cut it out!
And sorry about my bad english redaction, but I'm so excited that I can't even type well haha :P

Fernando :jester:
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, the documentation and the images are very appealing.

Unfortunately, it is for Windows.

So I might end up continuing with the MS-DOS attempt. hehe

But, I'm tired right now.

I've been pushing DEMOs out left and right.

So I'll see when it can be fit into my tiresome schedule. hehe

Don't quote me however I'll try getting an update next week.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

Thanks Fernando! Looking forward to trying this out. ;)
Creativity is at its best when there's limitations.
fcc-92

Post by fcc-92 »

You are welcome people! Let me know if you can make it work!

By the way, investigating a little in the archives and folders inside of the game I have some conclusions:
-Folder "levels": contains 3 folders that have the levels archives (mostly of them ".pal" archives I assume they came from "pallette", and a ".bmp" of the playfield itself), an alternative flu and bessie skins and 2 new marbles (smith and marbletest, which probably were for testing purposes), a ".bmp" of a playfield9 that wasn't included in the demo, and some more ".bmp" of the playfield8 that I think they forgot to delete while they were developing that level (just like the other images files they left there).
-Folder "sounds": it has a lot of sound effects in ".wav" format that are not part of the game, and some of them have an embedded information that are of the "Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95", I recomend listen to the "james" files, they have a nice groove
-Folder "marbles": It contains all the ".bmp" files of all the marbles skins (where the only image of this game that can be found on internet was made), and the in-game icons and victory animations
-And a "marbles.mmb" file (about 11MB) which I changed to ".exe" so the game would work. The curious thing is that I extracted this ".exe" with 7zip and now I have a few more archives that are interesting to look at:
".data": I oppened this file with the notepad, and between a lot of jeroglifics I distinguish what looks like a C code header file (".h"), because it has error messages, some macros, some including paths and archives, and a lot of functions prototypes.
".edata": not much to say but a "marbles.exe" word.
".idata": A lot of functions prototypes, but this time are for calling windows functions or for the directx (I think here is the key for making the game to work, maybe its something missing).
".rdata": Nothing important but this line "Manic Marbles GUI Skeleton (C) Gray Matter Inc. 1996", I think that's the developing program they used or the engine of the game or something. Worth to look after. Edit: I've just found out that that line is the label the game windows has. Edit2: I'm starting to think that "GUI skeleton" means somekind of "Prototype Graphic User Interface", so maybe the soul of the game isn't here.
".reloc": incomprehensible
".rsrc_1": most of it is empty (which is weird because it's a heavy file), but it has 3 rows of text, I think is some kind of header file because it mentions a lot of functions prototypes of windows, directx and some archives paths
".text": I think this has the source code of the game, because even though it's not readable with the windows notepad, it has some kind of C-code format
And at last, a folder named ".rsrc": Here is the most resources of the game (the menues, the sound effects, the music, the graphic buttons, the screens, etc.). I let you check this folder by your self :D

So that's all I can find out right now, I know I written a lot, but it's less than it appears! I think that someone who knows something about programming video games or aplications can easily apply inverse engineering to this game! PLEASE, HELP THIS TO HAPPEN! IT'S A NICE GAME AND IT'S WORTH THE SHOOT!

Other thing, most of the files in the demo are dated 22/08/1996 , and the game was supposed to reach its final retail version in spring of 1997, I assume this was about a year later, so I think that maybe the developers keep developing a little before cancelling the game, so if we can contact the Gray Matter Inc.'s team that were making the game maybe we can find out what the other levels were going be or some of the other features, so if someone wants to keep developing the game, at least they have a kick-start. Well, maybe I'm thinking out loud :laugh: hehe

That's all for now!

Like always, sorry if a have some spelling or grammatical errors!
Have a nice day, thanks for reading and greetings!

Last edited by fcc-92 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

@Fernando:

Thanks for the peek. However, I think it would be illegal for me and I wouldn't be able to get anything approved; Well Microsoft and them would have to give me permission to do a remake. So you do the honour of talking to Sir Bill Gates for me.

Other than that, I'm just going to cut the DEMO short. After all it is just a short INTRO hehe.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
fcc-92

Re: God, I love tacos, is number one!hehe

Post by fcc-92 »

@tienkhoanguyen

Yes, I know that it is considered illegal to use copyrighted material, but in this case let's say that is for "testing" and "educational" purposes, because the idea is not making a commercial software and make money, the idea is to modify a demo/trial "just for fun". An according to the readme file of the game:
This computer program is protected by copyright law and international treaties. Reproduction and/or redistribution of this trial version is permitted for non-commercial, personal and testing purposes only.

So, I don't think it's an illegal activity to try to modify the game if this is not gonna be a commercial release. And also, the trademark was requested on September 19 of 1996 (after of this demo release), and it was never approved so the current status of the trademark is "abandoned". See:
http://www.trademarkia.com/manic-marbles-75168540.html

My conclusion is that is not illegal to try to modify this demo (which, remember, is about to reach 20 years old and never reached a final/commercial version because it was abandoned), but well, I don't now much about this kind of legal things...

qmonkey

Post by qmonkey »

Hello again everyone!

I'm so happy someone could find and upload the game on this thread, thank you so much Fernando and everyone that helped the search ^^

I still have to try it, I'm downloading it right now :p

As for "testing" with the game I pretty much agree with what Fernando wrote. It would be pretty cool to see an HD version of the game or a remake (with different marbles, for example).

Write you soon! ;)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

I've been trying to catch up on my rest for The Sabbath Day of Holy Rest.

It's been a long year and I'm starting to feel it.

I'm not much of a artistic ability, but I'll try the new marbles.

I think I complain about working like everyone else hehe

Anyways, I'll let you know how it goes.

The remake is starting to be more involved so it takes longer.

In the beginning making 1 marble on the screen is easy.

However now things are getting complex.

People expect more from you so you feel more pressure.

However I'll try to work on it.

Just to give you how tired I am I just noticed my hair is greying fast.

Although I hear that is normal for 41 years. :laugh:
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
fcc-92

Post by fcc-92 »

Hello again!
Can anybody make the game work? I still can't find an answer for the problem in the image when the match starts.... :cry:

By the way, I found some interesting information about what an ".exe" contains:

".rdata": Represents the read-only data, such as literal strings, constants and debug directory information.
".rsrc": Section contains resource information for a module. It begins with a resource directory structure like most other sections, but this section's data is further structured into a resource tree.
".data": All other variables (except automatic variables, which appear on the stack) are stored in the .data section. Basically, these are application or module global variables.
".edata": The .edata section contains export data for an application or DLL. When present, this section contains an export directory for getting to the export information.
".reloc": Relocation information.
"idata": The .idata section is import data, including the import directory and import address name table.

Source:
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~caolan/pub/winres ... file2.html
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms809762.aspx

And now I trying to see what I can found about the game with "PE Explorer Disassembler", if anybody with more knowledge can help, I would appreciate it :D

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

This was a Win95 era game, right? You might have some luck running it under DxWnd. It's able to provide some backwards compatability for older versions of DirectX.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

I don't know if it's applicable, but if you're digging around in the exe, trying this is much easier. If you're lucky, it'll fix everything. If not, no loss. :)
fcc-92

Post by fcc-92 »

@Quadko

Genio! Idolo! Capo total! Sos groso man!
Hahaha :laugh:. I mean that you are awesome dude! I worked like charm! You don't know how happy I am right now! :D

So, I take the liberty to upload again the game but this time is all fixed, preconfigured and ready for playing, or at least for the ones that have the same issue as me...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ck75p ... arbles.zip

With the actual configuration set in DxWnd, game is working great. I'm playing on a Lenovo T410 with Windows 7 Pro X64 with Intel HD Graphics, so is working good on a normal laptop and I imagine that this time anybody can have any issue, but just in case that the game runs slow or fast, the FPS's of the game can be configured in the DxWND options in the Timing tab (i set it in 30FPS because more than that was really fast, but well, try it yourself and tell...)

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Fantastic! Very glad it worked. Thanks for uploading a config for others. :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Thanks for posting the Marble Madness pics.

I'm a horrible artists.

The marbles are beauty.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Ninorokr

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Post by Ninorokr »

Dude, thank you so much for posting this game and adapting it Windows 7,
that's beyond amazing! I've been searching for this game for YEARS now, I
used to play it with my brother and my cousin when I was 5 years old, I'm
25yo now and the memories just came flowing back.

I used to have the Sidewinder Gamepad and the same exact CD, if I had
known it was so difficult to find in these times I would've framed it and
hanged it on the wall. Now, I'm making sure this never gets lost nor forgotten
hoping that my grandchildren get to play it (lol that's probably too much)

I don't know if this is considered abandonware but I want the game to get a
lot of attention, and maybe I'll even try to remake the game using a modern
game engine, such as Unity.

EDIT: I've just realised you speak Spanish, I'm from Perú but I'm writing in English because of the rules of the forum. MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!
fcc-92

Re: THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Post by fcc-92 »

Ninorokr wrote:Dude, thank you so much for posting this game and adapting it Windows 7,
that's beyond amazing! I've been searching for this game for YEARS now, I
used to play it with my brother and my cousin when I was 5 years old, I'm
25yo now and the memories just came flowing back.

I used to have the Sidewinder Gamepad and the same exact CD, if I had
known it was so difficult to find in these times I would've framed it and
hanged it on the wall. Now, I'm making sure this never gets lost nor forgotten
hoping that my grandchildren get to play it (lol that's probably too much)

I don't know if this is considered abandonware but I want the game to get a
lot of attention, and maybe I'll even try to remake the game using a modern
game engine, such as Unity.

EDIT: I've just realised you speak Spanish, I'm from Perú but I'm writing in English because of the rules of the forum. MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!
De nada! Jaja, yo soy de Argentina! :D

As far as I know, still nobody showed interest in remaking this game with a modern engine, but I hope someday anyone take the initiative just like tienkhoanguyen did...

dayyou

Microsoft Manic Marbles PC Demo/Trial 1996

Post by dayyou »

The year is 2020. Something for some reason made me think of this game. I spent about 3 hours just trying to find the name of the game, and one additional hour finds me this. the holy grail. Thank you so much for uploading and spending your time on this. This brought so much nostalgia. I'm genuinely surprised it even starts up on windows 10. The menu, the music, everything works great except the gameplay appears graphically broken. thankfully that was all i needed. Thank you again :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thank you thank you thank you