Megarace 2 ( has anybody got this game to work!!)

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
wigs1966

Megarace 2 ( has anybody got this game to work!!)

Post by wigs1966 »

OK, here's the story. I found this game the aforementioned Megarace 2 with some old stuff. Great game i thought i'll have a shot of this, that was two months and a lot of hair ago!

i'm running XP so i downloaded all the usual programs to run dos games VDM and dos box included. VDM seems to get the closest and after reading all the tips and tricks and tweaks etc... i can now get a box which tells me"mscdex is not running, i can't continue".

i know that this is a dos driver for the cdrom and can't be opened when windows is running so now i'm stuck. An old brain is a sad thing and i cant think of what else to do.

So has anyone got it to work and if so how? any suggestions will be welcome as i've run out!! Cheers.
Wigs
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

Try dual-booting into Win98SE or some other dos-friendly OS, like Win95, Win98, or WinME (I advise against WinME, it's total crap)
Roger
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Roger »

Mount the CD Drive under Dosbox.
Example: mount d f:\ -t cdrom
Consult Dosbox "readme" for further information.
"in the beginning, Earth was without form and void..."
footballball

Old but gold

Post by footballball »

Hello,

so i found this post and wondered about something related.
I recently installed the same game. And somehow got it running. I have virtual disc drives with Megarace2 CD1 and Megarace2 CD2 respectively. I start DOSBox and MOunt the disc drives,
(what i enter is: D E:\
D:
D:\Megarace.exe)
The game works great, but i can`t save any progres, as there is no free-space on the disc. Ok, i thought, imma install it somewhere else- Error. Ok, so i`ll just copy this old game, should work fine. MSDos says then "mscdex is not started i cant continue". Does anyone have a tip on what to do next?

Regards,
a footballball
footballball

Post by footballball »

As I am a guest it seems as if i could not edit my posts, so sorry for the double post. Well, I ran the game now on a folder on my hard drive ( meaning i copy pasted the content of the .iso folder ( the virtual disc i described above) to my hard drive). So right now, everything that was on the disc is on my harddrive. why? Because setup does not work. Well, i mounted it with msdos on my harddrive, as a cd. The folder is calles MRTest, so my commands were(
MOUNT C C:\MRTest\
C:
C:\MEGARACE.exe )
again, game started, i drove 3 races so i could save something, saved, was happy, exited the game and restarted. Obiously, it did not work, there was nothing to load. Can somebody help me with this`?

Greetings,
a footballball, you may call me handegg
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Old but gold

Post by MrFlibble »

Hello footballball,

If the game reports insufficient disk space, you can use the -freesize parameter of the MOUNT command to set a specific emulated disk size (default is about 100 MiB IIRC).

The "no MSCDEX" error you get is most probably caused by the fact that the game expects to be installed from a CD. You need to mount the CD image you have as the CD. To do that, use the IMGMOUNT command in DOSBox. Theoretically, this should help you properly install the game from the CD inside DOSBox.

After the installation, the game will probably want you to have the CD in the drive every time you want to play. So you'll need to mount the CD image as a CD inside DOSBox via the IMGMOUNT command every time you want to play. You can put this command in the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf to spare yourself all the typing.