Top down medieval adventure game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
GeurillaPaint

Post by GeurillaPaint »

This is what I remember of the game:

The main character looked like a court jester wearing purple, and dreamed of becoming a knight someday. He gets called by the king to go on some adventure involving defeating 8 druids.

It was a top down adventure, and the main character was controlled by mouse. you move the mouse to move around, left click to swing a weapon, and click right and left mouse buttons at the same time to pick things up and put them down.

There was an optional companion you could get on the quest who shot magic orbs at enemies.

The weapons included from the beginning to the end of the game:

wooden sword, sword, goblin sword, unripe banana, rose, glass sword, stone sword, legendary frying pan of scrambling.

Cannot find the game anywhere no matter how I search for it. Any clues to the name of this game?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Just focusing on the jester part, maybe check out Pandemonium or sequel, or the Legend of Kyrandia series?

Wearing purple... hmmm... Billy Zane as The Phantom? :devil: No, that can't be right.

Frying Pan... you might try looking through the video game section in TV Tropes Frying Pan of Doom - they list many, including Fable's augmentable frying pan.

The Fate and spiritual sequel Torchlight series have pet sidekicks tossing magic like that, but so do many other games.

Around when did you play this? Do you recall if it was in Dos or Windows or something else? Does "Action RPG with comical/whimsical take" sound about right - like Diablo or Gauntlet but meant to be funnier or lighter?
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I was going to mention Pandemonium as well, as it was the first thing that popped in my head. But I played the PS1 version which used the standard controller, before the Dual Shock and I do not remember him being able to actually gain different weapons. When you mentioned the optional companion shooting magical orbs it sounded a lot like that girl "Nikki", although it can be argued that she is the main character. She sure did "fill out" in the sequel... :love: But considering everything else you said, unless the PS1 version was drastically altered from the one you are talking about and I doubt it, it just is not the same game. Pan was 2D and a side scroller, although it was also 2 and 1/2D kind of like Klonoa:Door to Phantomile, the camera would pan a certain way to give that effect.
GeurillaPaint

Post by GeurillaPaint »

Yeah, I get pandemonium a lot when I try to search the game. It actually had similar graphics to God of Thunder, being the whole ...16 bit? and the top down view. No luck on any of the aforementioned names, I'm afraid. I haven't found anyone who knows this game. It's definitely abondonware, alright. I don't believe it made it past the pc. No console platform.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

When did you play it? And it was dos, right? Or windows, or something else? Did it come in a box, or was downloaded from a BBS, or any details on where it came from? Every little thing you remember could help.

MobyGames.com "top down action fantasy" list, 441 games sorted by year: Try this list
GeurillaPaint

Post by GeurillaPaint »

I downloaded it from an abandonware site when I was around 9 or 10. Maybe 12. It should have been a DOS game, though I remember something about Apogee...maybe. Buh, I wish I remembered more. I'll keep searching, but if anyone has any ideas at all....
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

...but I don't know how old you are now... ;) What years-ish would that have been?

Purple robes and Apogee might be Hocus Pocus but that's a side scrolling platformer, or Mystic Towers but that was isometric - closer but still probably a long shot. MobyGames only has 69 Apogee games, so worth a look through the list to see if we are missing something. And Epic MegaGames was the other "king of shareware" back in the day so maybe worth a look at their 350 games as well.

Trying to search sideways from Thor God of Thunder, this time I get 41 Dos Action Top-Down Fantasy Games, probably a shorter version of that 441 list in an earlier post. Still, worth a look if you haven't already. :)
GeurillaPaint

Post by GeurillaPaint »

Ha! yea, that's probably an important detail. I had the game I'd say around 2002. By then it was abandonware. I'll keep looking. I remember hocus pocus. I like that game. :)
geurillapaint

Post by geurillapaint »

Want to open this back up if I can. This has been killing me forever now. I remember the name was something weird. It was definitely something like 16 bit graphics.
geurillapaint

Post by geurillapaint »

More details from memory:

The game moved much like a legend of zelda setting wood, as in the map of the world is in square areas and you move to the next area by going up, left, down, or right depending on where there is an open area. The game begins with a map that looks like a river going across the top part of the area, a path going up, some fencing, a dirt square area where you start next to an npc, and a castle in the bottom center of the map. with the main character, the fool, sparring with a knight who taunts you as you're fighting. It's an introduction to combat. Eventually the training stops and you are called by the king. You move the character by moving the mouse. You go into the castle, go up a hall, and the king tells you something along the lines of the kingdom is in danger, but all the knights have gone off somewhere, why don't you make yourself useful and go try to be a hero or something.

I can keep going if needed.
Yancy

Post by Yancy »

Following as I am looking for the same exact game and it the descriptions fit to my memory. Being:

Called lezda
Playing as a jester
Pretty sure jester was named Jinx or something like that
Similar to zelda
I remember playing it 2001/2002
Cannot find anything about it even though I vaguely remember