MPS Labs - Railway Tycoon

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
doehme

MPS Labs - Railway Tycoon

Post by doehme »

Anyone know how to get the old Railway Tycoon to play on a Win 7 64 bit PC? Tried DosBox but still no joy.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

What happens when you try to load it up?
doehme

Post by doehme »

Using DosBox. It appears to start ok and goes through the first two screens which are select sound device and video device. Then it should just start the game but it comes up with "one moment please.....file not found" and then jumps back to the dosbox C:\ prompt. It seems like it cant find a file that's needed for the game to run but I've copied them all. Maybe the .exe file is looking for it all in another directory.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Did it come with a setup program? Maybe it's a bad copy from disk/download?

Usually when I run into this, I fire up microsoft sysinternal's Process Monitor and set it to record disk access from DosBox. It's been a while since I've used it, but as I recall, it will tell which file dosbox is trying to access when it throws the error. Sometimes it's an obvious directory or drive problem ("can't read data.dat from drive a:") and other times googling for the file name turns up the solution ("you've got to run create_character.exe first").

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96645.aspx

Sorry, no solutions, just the things I check when I run into similar problems. :)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

This should really be in the Get Games to Work section.