Starcraft 1 - Zerg unbalanced.

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Starcraft 1 - Zerg unbalanced.

Post by Aldeb »

Really, it's almost impossible for me. Maybe i'm missing something. I could barely play through the first 3 singleplayer missions of the Zerg campaign and I can't advance anymore because the Zerg are woefully unbalanced. i can spend twenty minutes building up an army and the AI will wipe them out, thanks to the computers ability to combine siege tanks + pillboxes + missile launchers. I also combine my forces to counter this and I can barely make a few kills, then I need to start building all over again. I even happened to run out of resources on some of the maps because the terran AI keeps killing me. am I the only one having this trouble?

fairly new to SC btw.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

It's been a long time, but Zerg are different and definitely powerful.

The two things I recall, not sure if they are what you need next, but maybe useful:

* Zergling rushes - Zerg are not about waiting and basebuiliding. That's Protoss strategy. Pester the AI with cheap zerglings and destroy what you can to keep them from building. Somewhere there is a balance between number of zerglings you send (1 is too few, but maybe 5 or 100?), and make the AI rebuild and defend before they are ready - they won't be able to attack. You don't have to beat them immediately, just pester and distract and derail their attack while you build.

* Zerg have some interesting units. It sounds like you need to experiment with some of them. I remember having floaty overminds, powerful guardians of some sort, and overwhelming zergling "cannon fodder" armies to o'rwhelm. Many zergs can hide, so an enemy force would pass by, and I'd pop out of hiding and take the hindmost, drove the AI crazy. I also remember having to upgrade the capabilities of the units to get farther, but my memory is dim.

And maybe try googling zerg strategy starcraft 1 for some hints. ;)

Good luck! It's been a long time since I've played, but lots of good memories. I liked the Protoss best, so I never was great at Zerg in multiplayer. But my single player zerg strategies worked fine eventually, though.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

I eventually passed the mission i was stuck in. my mistake is that I didn't have enough units to gather resources, hence i was always short, and that I invested too much in underpowered units and I waited too long between rushes. i noticed that if you wait too long, the AI will continue to upgrade and harass more often. steadily getting better at the game.
Certified 16-bit Troll
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Cool, glad you beat it! Now you mention that, those strategies sound very familiar, but I'm afraid the details are lost in memory.

Onward Zergling soldiers!