I cannot get keyboard to mount correctly [Win7-64]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
sidbee2011 .

I cannot get keyboard to mount correctly [Win7-64]

Post by sidbee2011 . »

I am running Win7 Professional 64-bit. I have loaded DOSBOX after trying a number of alterations to the DOSBOX.CONF file, but no matter what I do with keyboardlayout=, I do not get a correct keyboard. I have tried setting keyboardlayout= to auto (the default), us103 and ux103.

I know the correct file is being loaded because all the MOUNT and other commands I entered at the [autoexec] section are being executed correctly.

Regardless of what I specify, "\" comes out "]", and the = key does nothing at all. Additionally, the Alt-key combinations I normally use do not come out correctly.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
sidbee2011

More keyboard problems in Win7 Professional

Post by sidbee2011 »

1. Some characters have their upper and lower output mixed up. For example, "a" comes out okay but all other characters in that keyboard row come out in caps, so typing the entire row with CAPS LOCK set OFF results in "aSDFGHJKL". Similarly, the top and bottom rows come out as "QWerTYuioP" and "ZXcVBnM: respectively.

2. The caps lock has no effect whatever.

Good news: I have gotten the Alt- keys to work, so I can make "\" with Alt-92 and "=" with Alt-61.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I've had that key mapping problem on my laptop, and I had to use the keymapper (CTRL-F1) to fix the []\ keys. But I think I had to use the alt- trick to get the right keys mapped! After that it all worked great.

I don't know about the CAPSLOCK, though. Might be similar. Anyway, the problem is apparently that it doesn't get keys directly from the OS, but captures them lower down and translates them from codes to keys. Sadly, it isn't smart enough to get the keys right on our "exotic"?!?!? keyboards, apparently.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Hmmmm, there was a topic on Vogon about those keyb problems, will see if I can find it.

[Edit]
This:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=18465

There are more keyb related topics @Vogon, but what a bloody search function on their board ..... pfffff, worthless
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.