Google Chrome

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Re: Nobody ever reads up here

Post by Dogbreath »

Santhosh CHRiS wrote: Wow... you have an inane ability to keep track of every single post made by a user and then accurately recall the information from history every time a post similar it is made.... you should work for Google :huh:

I hear they pay better than DGF not to mention the fringe benefits like spying on others :laugh:
Not just with posting, I can accurately remember conversations I had 5, 6 years ago. It freaks people out sometimes. I just don't forget things. It's called eidetic memory, and sometimes misnamed "photographic memory." (despite the fact it's not just related to images)

I get frustrated with other people, since we'll have a meaningful conversation about something, and 6 months later they'll completely forget it. Not most people, but there are people out there with extraordinarily bad memories.

Anyway, I really need to try Chrome eventually... but Firefox already works perfectly for me. I'll probably run it for a week so I can have a reference point in conversation.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Dogbreath wrote:Anyway, I really need to try Chrome eventually...
:blah:
Been there , done that, deleted the stuff.
Too much yuppie bloatware.
Sometimes I think that peeps only use Chrome so that they can tell others how many useless stuffs it has.

Hopefully FF won't become the same .... :(
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

dosraider wrote:Hopefully FF won't become the same .... :(

Well, if it does there are plenty of addons and backend hacks to fix it!

Unlike Chrome.
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Larry Laffer wrote:
dosraider wrote:Hopefully FF won't become the same .... :(

Well, if it does there are plenty of addons and backend hacks to fix it!

Unlike Chrome.
That is, IMO, the great advantage OS has over commercial products: if you don't like something, you can just change it... or find someone else online who thinks like you and download his fix. Commercial simply can't offer the same level of flexibility.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Dogbreath wrote:That is, IMO, the great advantage OS has over commercial products: if you don't like something, you can just change it... or find someone else online who thinks like you and download his fix. Commercial simply can't offer the same level of flexibility.

By that logic, why use Chrome when you can use one of the 23598314547.2 LINUX variations?
<center>
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

On the Google homepage, it says "Install Google Chrome! IT'Z TEH FAST!!1"
Then I click on the link: "Your operating system is not supported."

Fuck you, Google.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

2LT Worm wrote:Fuck you, Google.
Tssssssss tsssssssssssssss tsssssssssssssssss .....
Language!
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Larry Laffer wrote: By that logic, why use Chrome when you can use one of the 23598314547.2 LINUX variations?
I think you meant Windows, right?

The reason is that while OS has the advantage of customization, it doesn't imply that OS is necessarily superior - it's only superior when matched with a product of similar quality that is CS. Windows is, for me anyway, much much easier to use than Linux, while still offering me as much flexibility and customization as I need. (unlike Mac)

In the case of Firefox vs Chrome, Firefox is every bit as user friendly as Chrome. (I think. But how much more user friendly can you get than "double click to open, type whatever shit you want to find in the upper right hand corner?") Furthermore, there's nothing about Firefox or any of its addons that I find daunting with my level of expertise. The thought of installing and learning how to use 'x' Linux variant just gives me headaches.

Well, maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe there is some incredibly user friendly, easy to install version of Linux, and I'm just too stubborn and lazy to search for it. I've never felt any need for anything other than Windows, though.
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Dogbreath wrote:
Well, maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe there is some incredibly user friendly, easy to install version of Linux, and I'm just too stubborn and lazy to search for it. I've never felt any need for anything other than Windows, though.
FINALLY someone who speaks the truth. All you need is Windows. Mac and Linux... all fine but one is waaay too expensive and the other is waaay to complicated to operate. Windows kinda evens everything out. Cheap and user friendly and yet people keep bashing it in favor of a Mac.

Here a mac costs Rs.120,000... I could get a P.C. for less than Rs.30,000 WITH Original Windows Vista, and the highest configuration. I could buy 4 computers for the price of 1 mac. Think of how many poor schools and and education in 3rd world countries would benefit from this.

Ofcourse everybody loves a Ferrari and dream of buying one but at the end of the day most people would be walking if it wasn't for a Ford :)
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Dogbreath wrote:Well, maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe there is some incredibly user friendly, easy to install version of Linux, and I'm just too stubborn and lazy to search for it. I've never felt any need for anything other than Windows, though.
http://www.ubuntu.com
(Ooohh...9.10 is out! Looks like I need to update!)

Oh man, you guys love bashing the Mac. And I understand why you guys have reservations about it, but the general computing public just doesn't have the standard demands of customization and flexibility that you guys need. They need something to watch Youtube, type a document, and read their emails.

And let's face it. I've owned my Mac for 4.5 years. In the time, I've only spent $300 in upkeep: to upgrade the RAM and to buy a new power supply (the only was crappin' out on me). But that is all this computer has needed.

It's like a Toyota. It might be more expensive than a Ford, but it's a better designed machine that will last longer.

Any other computer I've owned has suffered a major failure in a year or two.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

2LT Worm wrote: Oh man, you guys love bashing the Mac. And I understand why you guys have reservations about it, but the general computing public just doesn't have the standard demands of customization and flexibility that you guys need. They need something to watch Youtube, type a document, and read their emails.
Really, I have nothing against Mac. I see it as a perfectly valid operating system, and don't begrudge anyone the choice to use it. I think most of my hatred is a knee jerk reaction to a lot of Mac users I know. You know who I'm talking about, the insufferable yuppies you see every time you walk in a Starbucks or the Abbey or Mojos, sitting there with their glowing Mac emblem. I know quite a few people who treat their Apple Products like fashion accessories, and act as if owning a Mac makes them subversive and hip. Often they'll talk about Microsoft as if it's the evil empire, and scoff at Windows users as being uneducated pawns.

What bothers me so much about that is that Apple Computers is much closer to being the "evil empire" of computing (if that term can apply, which I don't think it can) than MS. MS gives away tens of billions of dollars in philanthropic efforts every year, and that doesn't count the enormous amount given by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. I have friends who work for a charity that provides computers for students in African countries (something very essential, as online classes are by far the best affordable education they have access to), and all their computers run Windows. MS gives licenses free software for them, and PC manufacturers (especially Dell) have donated thousands of computers.

Essentially, Microsoft is bringing universal computer/internet access to the third world, and they were the company that made widespread home computing and the integration of business and computers in the 90s possible. Apple has always been the toy of the young upper class, and while I don't envy them for their toys, I do get rather upset by the condescending attitudes. (it's especially hard to listen when they assume I must be a mac user, and trash MS to me)

Also, there's the huge disparity is price. Only in the U.S. are the retail prices for an Apple computer and a PC relatively similar, and an Apple is still about $1000 more. In other countries, an Apple can easily cost 5 or 6 times what a PC does. Heck, it does here if you build your own. My last computer cost me $183 to build, I built it mostly out of parts I could scrounge up from friends and e-bay. Quite a few people in poorer countries (and I predict a lot more people in the U.S. in the next few years) build their own computers/hire a friend a build them, since buying them retail is prohibitively expensive. I don't know how user friendly Macs are to assemble, but I've never met anyone who's built their own Mac from parts they ordered online. They just don't seem to be economically feasible for the lower class. (they certainly don't market themselves to the working class)

Also: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01 ... -products/
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

[ol'joke]Why all those Macnuts still have a PC running Windows ...... or like to brag how they can run Win on their Mac .....
If Mac is so complete and easy to use why bothering with WinPCs ?
[/ol'joke]

A bit more serious, there is one big problem with Macs: no industrial support. Nothing, nada. You will not find one Mac on the workfloor, not one Mac in PLC, CAM, whatever. A complete lack of versatility. Do you know they still manufacture the 8086-386-486-P1-P2-P3 CPU/mobos for industrial use?
Where's Mac....?

Just saying .... just saying, whatever.

.... and here we go again, PCnuts<->Macnuts. LMAO.
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Oooh with all this debate I wonder when Google is going to launch their own operating system. I'm sure they're working on SOMETHING :shifty:
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

Santhosh CHRiS wrote:Oooh with all this debate I wonder when Google is going to launch their own operating system. I'm sure they're working on SOMETHING :shifty:
Uh, they announced that a while ago.
Later this year.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

2LT Worm wrote:
Santhosh CHRiS wrote:Oooh with all this debate I wonder when Google is going to launch their own operating system. I'm sure they're working on SOMETHING :shifty:
Later this year.

I'm fairly sure we've been talking about this...

Like.. in this thread... and stuff...
<center>
</center>

CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

I thought we were talking about the browser?
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Santhosh CHRiS
A well-dressed penguin

Post by Santhosh CHRiS »

Yet another awesome ad for Google Chrome ad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5535Ts-iOP0

I tell ya they're really impressing me but will i trade in my Firefox for a Google Cat lol
Cmaza
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Cmaza »

Larry Laffer wrote:
2LT Worm wrote:
Later this year.

I'm fairly sure we've been talking about this...

Like.. in this thread... and stuff...
Lol. I'm really looking forward to this.. Seriously. How awesome? I reckon it'll be a pretty neat Operating System, atleast, so far as internet activities are concerned. Will definitely try it out when it is released.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

It's going to be freeware and open source, right? I'll definitely try it, might get a netbook to run it on, and then just do Windows or Linux if it doesn't go over well. (I've been meaning to try a Linux build for years now anyway)

Google has really made a freeware empire for itself. It seems the most counter intuitive business plan ever... build a multi-billion dollar company by giving everything away for free.