Quiver

Questions, comments, and suggestions regarding the forum or DOSGAMES.com can go here. Please do not post "broken links" reports here, please email them to [email protected].
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Quiver

Post by MrFlibble »

Quiver is yet another obscure shareware FPS game made by a small development team. It may seem like a game made just for fun by several IT students, but come to think of it, the lead programmer, Michael Taylor, single-handedly wrote an engine comparable to that of Doom from scratch.

The game produces a mixed feeling, but is rather playable. To quote the review at Home of the Underdogs:
One of the game's best features is the nice weapons that are different from the pistol/shotgun/machine guns of most DOOM clones. Some of the weapons you can use are alien weapons, such as the "shredder," which shoots a spiked mine that explodes in a 360-degree arc of fireballs, and the "hell-hands" which shoots a powerful stream of fire but only while you are spinning in circle. The game has the usual abundance of power-ups, including health, ammo, keys, and of course the orbs that you need to exit each level.

The controls in Quiver are either mouse- or keyboard-driven, neither of which can be reconfigured to your liking. Fortunately, the default controls are not unintuitive, so it only takes a few minutes to get used to them. You must also master the art of precise jumping to succeed in the game.

Overall, Quiver is a fun shareware FPS that doesn't challenge DOOM or Strife for the crown, but then again it is not designed to. If you enjoy unassuming FPS with plenty of levels and furious action, 27 challenging levels of Quiver will keep you occupied for some time.
Download Quiver Shareware v1.01 from ftp.chatnfiles.com
Download Quiver Shareware v1.02 from FilePlanet
Download Quiver Demo 1.50P from FilePlanet
Download Quiver Demo 1.50P from ftp.tiscali.it
raven72

Post by raven72 »

sorry to bump such an anciant thread, but I recently gave this game a try. Like most comments I have seen about the game, it's first impressions are not the best - But I soldiered on (pun intended) and by the 4th map I had a 'feel' for the game and have been really enjoying it since.

Tips:-

Use DosBox (of course) with the 2xsai scaler - I found setting DosBox's full resolution to 640x480 to be the best - use the Novert mouse utility to disable forward mouse movement and DosBox's keyboard mapper for WASD controls if you feel you need them.