SIMCITY WAS RELEASED AS FREEWARE

Questions, comments, and suggestions regarding the forum or DOSGAMES.com can go here. Please do not post "broken links" reports here, please email them to [email protected].

SIMCITY WAS RELEASED AS FREEWARE

Post by Guest »

DONT YOU KNOW THIS
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

hey, thanks for the info, but we need some written proof somewhere. If you could provide us with that, I'm sure Emmzee would be more than happy to put that game on the site.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

No it hasn't. Well, I read that it couldn't go freeware for some reason.... I'm probably out of date and wrong now.

Post by Guest »

you can play it on there website and ...
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

I actually emailed EA (who bought Maxis) several weeks ago and asked them if they had released the original Simcity (aka Simcity Classic) as freeware, and therefore if its okay to distribute it on my site. The rep who replied told me no, that none of the Sim products including Simcity Classic have been released as freeware and that EA does not allow people to distribute them on the web. :(

The fact that the have an online version available for free play on their website doesn't necessarily mean that sites have the right to copy and distribute the old DOS version of the game.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Emmzee, did you know that Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky were released as freeware? If you don't believe me, check the Revolution Games website. For BASS, you need to use SCUMMVM....but that's fine, 'cause it means it will work on XP! :D
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Yea I did notice yesterday, there's a thread about it somewhere on these boards ... I downloaded BASS and SCUMMVM but haven't tried it out yet. Anyways whenever I do another update (may not be until late this month unfortunately) I'll see about adding one or both of those ...
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I thought it was abandonware along with Transport Tycoon (you have the demo on your site).

Post by Guest »

Not nearly abandoned... the fact that there's a playable online version by EA/Maxis should tell you that.
Interon

Post by Interon »

I think they still sell it at Wal-Mart.
VALGAL

Post by VALGAL »

I downloaded a freeware version of simcity classic years ago (not a demo), but now I can't find it anywhere at all on the net.
Interon

Post by Interon »

Update: I looked in Wal-Mart and 2 other stores and couldn't find SimCity classic. I found other Maxis games but not that one.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Joris »

I'm afraid they won't ever release it as freeware :blah:
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

I bought the game (with several others in a varity pack) from staples. In their old games section. :thumbsup: But this was a few months back...
Webmaster- <a href="http://www.dosgames.com/~bobo">Bobo's DOSGames</a>
^ Biggest Dos 3D Shooters site in the World! :)
Total Games = <b>201</b>
Over <b>100900</b> Downloads since 2004
dimerethiel

SimCity Classic download

Post by dimerethiel »

I´ve found this download site for old SimCity Classic game:
*abandonware link removed by admin*
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

OH! For the love of God!!
1st: Abandonware links are forbiden :no:
2nd: Wrong Forum :no:
3rd: Free-games-download Isn't even free anymore... and we're talking abandonware software here :no: :suspicious:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)