text based DOS game

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
papiyana

text based DOS game

Post by papiyana »

How does one go about making a text based DOS game? I recently played Amnesia, for those who know what game that is. It's a text based DOS game which is pretty fun, but I was wondering how I would be able to make one since I like writing and the game resembles a book.
Last edited by papiyana on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

There are a few tools out there. I haven't used any of them, but the one I've particularly heard good things about is TADS if you are comfortable with a scripting style tool.
tads.org wrote:Create Your Own Interactive Fiction
TADS is a free authoring system for writing your own Interactive Fiction. It offers a complete set of programming tools for creating high-quality IF.
I think there are also simple no-scripting tools out there as well. Other tools that come up in google lists: Twine, Inform, Quest, Adrift. They appear to trade off simplicity vs. power, depending on what you want, from no programming/scripting over to scripting "required".
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Take a look @
http://www.dosgames.com/g_gcs.php

From basic (.... simple) to more sophisticated ones.
From ASCII to text and even some enhanced graphical ones.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

My personal recommendation is to ditch the scripting languages and just learn a programming language.

I would recommend that you start with C++. It's fairly easy to make a basic text game that you can run in the DOS (or Command) Prompt.
Plus, it's portable to almost everything and there are lots of libraries you can use to build visual games (if you ever want to branch out).

I took a computer science class back in high school....almost 10 years ago, and I built a small horror-type text-based game. It's pretty easy to get started.

Code: Select all

#include <iostream>

int main&#40;int argc, char* argv&#91;&#93;&#41; 
&#123;
std&#58;&#58;cout << "I love DOS games!\n";
return 0;
&#125;
I like this compiler
Sustinendum Victoriam!